Heart Of Gold

47 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
48.5 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

8) 8)

Yeah, once one starts playing, they can get a new perspective on music. You start listening with a trained ear and it's all over. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

well i have it all figured out except the chorus strumming and the Cmaj 7/9 with the fill in at g
the funny thing is i used to really dislike neil young. (im even Canadian) but since i started playing guitar i have a lot
more appreciation for all music

You start hearing a lot more in a song compared to what you did before playing the guitar.

Appreciation for all music is the best way to train your musical genius fast.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm merging your question with the thread in lessons. You might want to read through the earlier posts in the discussion.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I searched for harmonica but didn't find anything. What do you all do for the harmonica part? Do you play it as a solo on the guitar? And is there a tab for it? I searched the 'net, but nothing, just the regular chords. My teacher didn't address it, and I don't remember seeing it in the GN lesson. I looked at http://www.harmonicalessons.com/tabs/tabs_riff_heartgold.html but it's meaningless to me. :(

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

That tab is for a diatonic harmonica (either a G or Em), so if your harmonica is in a different key you'd have to transpose the guitar part. Or if you have a chromatic harmonica, the notes would be in different places. The difference between diatonic and chromatic is diatonic harmonicas only have the notes from 1 scale, so you only use to play in 1 key. So you may have a G harmonica and a C harmonica. A chromatic harmonica is more like a piano, it moves up in half steps. So you can have 1 harmonica and play in any key.

As for understanding the tab, you have 2 pieces of information for each note, the hole number and the direction. The holes are numbered from left to right, and the direction is either B (blow) or D (draw or inhale). So 4B means blow through the 4th hole. 4D means draw through the 4th hole. When you see 2 numbers w/ a comma between, it just means use both those holes (7,8B = blow through 7 & 8 holes at same time).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

OK, that seems easy enough... the only problem is I don't have a harmonica. Never played one. :| That's why I wondered if there is a guitar tab for it. Or do people just skip the harmonica parts? Unless of course that's sacrilege to the song. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Just a little resurrection of this topic for an update...

I got it. I picked out the melody of the harmonica solo, and was able to play it along with the recording. Yeeha! :lol:

Now I have 2 options to work on to play it... work it into a chord/melody treatment, or as a solo with some bends or pulls, or other treatments. If I do the second, I'm going to have to fidoodle a little riff or two to make the "solo" mesh with the chords of the rhythm, and not make it an abrupt change.

I also discerned that he does the 3rd solo differently, so I tabbed the first two solos, and the third. I hope this is the beginning of being able to figure things out by ear. But I'm not going to get cocky about it. :wink:

I'm pretty pleased that I finally nailed it to this point. :D

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

This is just a test of using the code function, and to share the harmonica tab if anyone is interested. It's my first time doing this, I know Imissed a note or two, it's limited to a melody solo line, but it sounds good to me, and sounds good playing with the recording. The tabbing doesn't represent the timing. I had to just listen to the song and learn the timing.
1st & 2nd solos

e ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b ------0----3----1----0---------------------------------------------------------------------|
G -----------------------------------2----0--------------------------------------------------|
D --------------------------------------------------0-----------------------------------------|

(1st solo)
e --------------3-----------0--------------0-------------------------------------------------|
b -----3----------------------------3----------------------3-----------------0--------------|

(2nd solo)
e --------------3-----------0--------------0--------------------0------------------------|
b -----3----------------------------3--------------------3-----------------3--------------0-----|

1st & 2nd solos
e --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G -----------0-----0-----0-----4----4----4----4----4----4----5----4------0----------|

3rd solo
e --3--3--3------0--0-------3----0-----------0-----------------------------------|
b ----------------------------------------3----------------------3-----------------0--------|

e -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G -----------0-----0-----0-----0---0----0----4----4----4----5----4------0-------|

e --3-------0-------0-------3-----------0-----------0-------------------------------|
b -----------------------------------------------3------------------3-----------------0------|

ReplyQuote
(@virgo65)

In David lesson, the chorus and the end of the outro ,it is all down strokes ?

ReplyQuote
(@mhart252)

Hi. I am new to the site. I am returning to guitar after a long lay-off. I want to play Heart of Gold. I saw all the legal stuff about the tablature. I went to the archive but that link appears to be broken. Does anyone know how I can get the tab(s) to the lesson.

Thanks,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise

We are in the process of negotiating with a number of publishers and (hopefully) will be getting some good news about the lessons soon.

In the meantime drop me an email at [email protected]. No promises, but I might have a copy somewhere in the disaster that is my files I can find for you.

Looking forward to seeing you around on the boards.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hi. I am new to the site. I am returning to guitar after a long lay-off. I want to play Heart of Gold. I saw all the legal stuff about the tablature. I went to the archive but that link appears to be broken. Does anyone know how I can get the tab(s) to the lesson.

Thanks,

Mike

Check your pm.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Until a new person gets five posts I don't know if he can get into (or reply to) PMs. Just in case he's trying to answer you...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@mhart252)

Thanks Minotaur. I cannot reply directly to you. I appreciate the help.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Until a new person gets five posts I don't know if he can get into (or reply to) PMs. Just in case he's trying to answer you...

Peace

Ah! I am awared now. :wink:

I didn't want to post the link to where he can find a very workable chord sheet. I don't know if that would cause problems for GN.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4