Clear all

Help

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

(I seem to be getting into the habit of being the first poster here...)

I was reading through this lesson (Easy #35, haven't actually played it yet), and something struck me at this point, concerning the intro:
As we've been discussing, the hardest part about playing this is going to be making the chord changes from A to C#m to F#m.

I'm wondering, since the lesson is partly about barre chords, and the C#m and F#m are both barred, why are you using the open A chord to start? It seems to me that it would be much easier to use the barred E-shape on the 5th fret instead. Then the transition to the C#m is actually very easy: slide the barre down 1 fret, and move the E-shape up one string (without changing any finger positions) to form the Am-shape. And the bass-to-chord would strike the 6 string on the first beat, and the 2-4 strings on the second beat.

There are probably other places in the song where the open A makes more sense, but this just seems like a perfect place to use the barred shape instead.

Anyway, on to actually trying to play the song now. 8)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi,
It's perfectly fine to use the barred A at the fifth fret if you find that fingering more convenient. When I play it, I do tend to use the A at the second fret, but it's really a matter of convenience. Use the fingering that works best for you. I think I use the open A because I vamp a bit on the A chord by oscillating between an A and an Asus2 at the end of the chorus before returning to the verse. That's easier to do at the second fret.

I hope that's "Help!"ful!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote