Clear all

Horse With No Name

49 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
49 K Views
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the update David. I just subscribed to the newsletter so I should be a little more informed of these things. I hadn't heard about the hacking, that sucks. I've had it happen to a few of my sites before and it's such a pain to recover from.

Thanks again for the quick response.

ReplyQuote
(@glangston)

I came across a version of this song that uses the same Em and D6/9 but also uses Em9 and Dmaj9 on the chorus. The fingering is all on the second fret and is a mirror of the verse.....and it sounds right. It makes the song less simple but not by much.

ReplyQuote
(@virgo65)

I learned the song with David Hodge Lesson. I want to add the solo like the original recording. Can you help me how to play it and how i can add it in the David Lesson.Thanks ! :D

ReplyQuote
(@virgo65)

? :roll: :roll: :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@oz_strummer)

This will probably sound like such a "newbie" question - but i feel i need to ask if i'm going to get anywhere. :?

I've been learning guitar (by myself) for nearly 3 weeks. I know 2 minor chords and about 5 open majors so i was looking at the "easy songs for beginners".

When i look at the "Horse with no Name" song, (the section titled Verse 1 that has the chords above the words) i know the chords and know they change every measure (4 beats).

How do i figure out at which "word" the chord changes?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!! :)

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way.

You don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that chords change on specific words. It's about the beats and the timing of the song. Often times singers will not sing in perfect timing and words can fall on or off any given beat. That's part of an artist's interpretation of a song. Sometimes the chord changes come on a beat where nothing is being sung. So if you get in the habit of changing on a specific word instead of a specific beat, you're setting yourself up for not being able to keep time well. And guitar, any musical instrument for that matter, is all about timing.

I hope this helps more than confuses!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Strummer

Welcome to the GN Forums - Only been playing for three weeks - great! A prime candidate for our 'Beginners Video' thread.

Hook up a camera and join the happy throng...We've all tried Horse With No Name with varying degrees of success.... :roll:

Rock on from a land down under!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@oz_strummer)

Thanks for the advice and the welcome guys.......

Being an adult learner has it's own set of challenges alone but hey, i'm lovin' the journey :D

As for the video - maybe one day when i don't think i'm sounding so crappy, although every day there's a little progress!!!

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.....

ReplyQuote
(@dr-alex)

Could you post an mp3 of the (tripplets) solo of Hose with No Name. Somehow have mental block of how to do the tripplets.
Hearing the solo would help. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Hi

I hope you don't mind, but I merged your post into the already existing thread on this lesson. I'll do my best to work an MP3 for the "Horse - Part 2" lesson right after the Fourth of July. I've been putting it off because we're doing some reworking of the website and I was hoping to get the time to work up a transcription and recording of the solo from the original version as well. We'll see if I can't get both done.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dr-alex)

Muchas gracias! Your dedication is inspiring. I'm like that with my job also.

ReplyQuote
 inca
(@inca)

David,

With the second mp3 ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/audio/36/HORSE2.mp3 ), I'm having trouble with the strumming in the second measure. It sounds like you're strumming downward while muting. I have been strumming upward then muting and not strumming downward in the second measure. Perhaps it's my ears being fooled by the speed and lack of experience, but I can't seem to get my sound to match the original song's or HORSE2.mp3's.

Thanks in advance! Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way.

You don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that chords change on specific words. It's about the beats and the timing of the song. Often times singers will not sing in perfect timing and words can fall on or off any given beat. That's part of an artist's interpretation of a song. Sometimes the chord changes come on a beat where nothing is being sung. So if you get in the habit of changing on a specific word instead of a specific beat, you're setting yourself up for not being able to keep time well. And guitar, any musical instrument for that matter, is all about timing.

I hope this helps more than confuses!

Peace

I'm glad I found this thread, because I want to tackle Horse With No Name soon. I have tinkered with it per your lesson, but I may add it to my Currently Working On list.

Having said that, the other reason I am glad I stumbled in here is because I am finding the same thing about strumming timing v. singing the lyrics in My Sweet Lord. Here's what I mean...
Intro:

Em A (x4)
D Bm (x2)
D F#dim B7 Em
A Em
My sweet lord
A Em
Hm, my lord
A Em
Hm, my lord
A D
I really want to see you
Bm D
Really want to be with you
Bm D
Really want to see you lord
F#dim B7 Em
But it takes so long, my lord
A Em
My sweet lord
A Em
Hm, my lord
A Em
Hm, my lord
A D
I really want to know you
Bm D
Really want to go with you
Bm D
Really want to show you lord
F#dim B7 Em A
That it won't take long, my lord (hallelujah)

I find the
A Em
Hm, my lord
A D
I really want to see you
Bm D
Really want to be with you
Bm D
Really want to see you lord

changes a little awkward and not quite "lined up" right. I think he's doing something a little different in the recording than is written out, or can be heard. Or I'm just too new. :oops: I know he's got some overdubbing in the chorus (it's him), so I'm assuming he's doing the same thing with the acoustic guitar. Or it's that kooky Phil Spector and his "wall of sound" (I've come to despise that, so did George).

So the take home lesson is that I'm going to tinker around with the timing and see what happens.

Thanks David! :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member

I know this is a easy one....the easiest. But I still have a question. When changeing from em to Dadd6add9 which finger goes on the 6th string and which on the third string? Believe it or not I am just learing this. I have been playing metal powerchords and useing videos to learn some metallica songs but makeing chord shapes is new to me. Mabey I am not learning in the right order...

Thanks for the help

Jay

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Move from the 5th to the 6th.
Move from the 4th to the 3rd.

The smallest moves are almost always the best option.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4