It's too late

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
15.6 K Views
(@ramblex157)
Topic starter  

Hi,
    Just one of thing really, I'm not quite sure which fingers to use when I play Cmaj7 or Fmaj7 or even Gmaj7 so that I can get an easy changeover.

Thanks  ;)

Just Play it!

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Try this for now
Play a C in the open position.  Now lift your index finger.  That's a C maj7  (don't strum the sixth string).

Play a C in the open position.  Now pick up your middle and ring fingers and move them up a string while holding the shape, moving from the 5th and 4th strings to the 4th and 3rd.  That's a an Fmaj7.

See if those work with the song.  They're not the same voicings David shows but I think they'll work for you and are very easy transitions.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ramblex157)
Topic starter  

Thanks, that seems to work.

Just Play it!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

Could someone please tell me the up/down strumming pattern for the chorus section? It was really helpfull in the first part of the lesson to have it spelled out to get the rhythm properly. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@darling-damsel)

Ah and where does it explain what hammer on and off means? I can finger the piano rif but only each individually ...

And what doesD(P) mean? The "Percussive stroke down" does not really tell me much.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Percussive stroke down -- try muting the strings. Rest the ridge of your palm lightly against the strings by the bridge as you strum (especially if it's an open chord). The chord won't ring out that way and you'll just get a percussive effect.

Hammer-on and pull-off are techniques for legato phrasing. I'm going to give you a link to a site that has some video files for the basic technique:

Cyberfret's hammer-on and pull-off.

After you've looked at those photos and videos, take a look at Nick's lesson:

Hammer on, Pull off, Tap, Repeat.

That should help!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@darling-damsel)

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am terrible with percussive beats (I know, I know, I need to practice) but on this particular song the percussive beat seems to serve more purpose than just a percussive sound.
It mutes the previous chord cutting it short.
I have found that if I mute the strings where the percussive beat goes but skip actually playing the percussive beat it sound just perfect to me.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I know I'm about 3 years late in this thread, but I just read the It's Too Late lesson last night. Even in the recorded version, it sounds like her piano chords are muted, exactly where David has them. I've tried some palm muting a couple of times, and it was enough to tell me that boy do I need practice! I can't wait to be able to do it, because I am hearing it now in a lot of songs I've listened to for years (does that mean I'm becoming a musician? :lol: ). I guess the trick is to go very slowly and find just the right touch with the heel of the hand.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

One thing I should point out on this lesson - the "piano riff" is an adaptation, meant to help beginners get the feel of being able to switch from chords to riff and back, not to mention get them comfortable with the idea of hammer-ons on the lower (bass) strings.

But the notes on this adaptation are not the same as the ones in the actual recording. If you want to use those instead, here they are:
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - 0 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 0 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - 2 - - - - - - - - - - - 2 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It takes a little more practice to get these (as opposed to the notes in the lesson), but with a little concentrated practice, it's not all that hard.

Hope this helps and glad you enjoy the lesson.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Try this for now
Play a C in the open position.  Now lift your index finger.  That's a C maj7  (don't strum the sixth string).

Play a C in the open position.  Now pick up your middle and ring fingers and move them up a string while holding the shape, moving from the 5th and 4th strings to the 4th and 3rd.  That's a an Fmaj7.

See if those work with the song.  They're not the same voicings David shows but I think they'll work for you and are very easy transitions.

I think I'm waaay late but the way he explained Fmaj7 is wrong..

When moving from Cmaj7 to Fmaj 7 you have to put your index finger back on the 2nd string otherwise you won't get the C and then that wouldn't be F at all :D it would be... some other chord, wow now I am curious what chord would it be ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

When moving from Cmaj7 to Fmaj 7 you have to put your index finger back on the 2nd string otherwise you won't get the C and then that wouldn't be F at all :D it would be... some other chord, wow now I am curious what chord would it be ?

It would be cacophony. Fmaj7b5? Whatever it is, I don't want to hear it. :?

However, he did explain the Fmaj7 correctly. You start in the open C, with the index on the 2nd string at the first fret. That finger never moves, so no need to "put it back".

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Try this for now

I think I'm waaay late but the way he explained Fmaj7 is wrong..

See up there it says lift your index finger, but I didn't notice under it it said Play a C in the open position, but I'm going to hunt down that chord to see if it is what u say.

Fmaj 7 b5 is an Fmaj7 with the 5th note flatted right, well I guess thats it O_O

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@jaybest)

I agree with Dhodge...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2