9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
11.3 K Views
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a couple of questions about this lesson. I don't know much about fingerpicking, so I hope these aren't dumb questions. :?: First of all, on Laura's easier pattern, it shows the last note played with the a finger, but that same note has already been played twice in the measure with the m finger. Is this just a typo, or are we meant to change fingering here for some reason?

:?: Second, the fingering isn't given for the Am measures, but it looks like if you kept your fingers on the same strings, you'd be playing t/a, m, i, a, t, m, i, a instead of the t/a m, i, m, a, m, i, a like in all the other measures. Is that right? That's what I've been trying to do, but I can't seem to convince my brain to make my fingers play in a different order for that one measure. It that's right, would it really mess me up to just play all measures with the same fingering until I get the song down somewhat, and then try to change the fingering for the Am chords? Or would that just be harder?

(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

There is no such thing as a dumb question! As for using 'a' on the last note even though it's played with the 'm' finger previously, it may just be a typo. It is certainly more economical to use the same finger on the same string. However, I was trained first as a classical pianist, and with that, sometimes I change the fingering, even when it is the same note! With the Amin measure, I actually use the same pattern of fingering, at least I think I do. Actually, for the lesson, I had my husband write down the fingering pattern that I use when I play the song, as my mind had difficulty translating fingering to paper. And in fact, the pattern I pick does change over time, and has changed somewhat in the 5 years since David and I wrote the lesson. You find the notes that sound good to you, within the body of the melody and whatever harmonies you like, depending on whether you are just playing, or playing and singing.

I hope the answer is not too confusing. The pattern in the lesson is meant to be a guideline. Finding the most comfortable way for you to play and enjoy the song is what's important.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have further questions.

Warm regards,

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Laura. I'll try using the same fingering for all measures until I get the hang of it, then, and see where it wants to go from there. I've got this song on cd somewhere, but can't seem to find it and haven't heard it in a very long time, so I can't tell if what I am doing sounds right or not. I'll have to find that cd and remind myself what this song is supposed to sound like. Right now, just doing the one pattern for every measure and trying to change chords without my fingers stopping is taking every ounce of my concentration! :)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Apologies for bumping an old topic, but it makes more sense, or appears to, than starting a new one for a lesson where there's already been a question posted. Well, this is more a request. I can't read TAB, so would it be possible for somebody to either explain how the tab for the picking pattern works, or write it out in words for me?

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Thank you for not starting a new topic -- in this forum we keep all the questions on a lesson in one thread, just as you have.

Why don't you have a look at Howard's Guide to Reading Guitar Tab. I think it will answer your questions.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)

I cannot seem to find the Landslide lesson anywhere. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Been there - done that. Just can't remember where it was or what I did.

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)

Thanks for your help Laura. And thanks for the excellent lesson. I shall have some fun with this.

Been there - done that. Just can't remember where it was or what I did.

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

You're welcome :D I never get tired of playing this song. I hope you have as much joy playing it as I do. Let me know if you've any questions.

ReplyQuote