Notifications
Clear all

Moondance

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shebo)
Topic starter  

I'm In the process of trying to learn "Moondance" from David's lesson and I'm having a difficult time with the timing at the end of the verse with what seems like triplets. I don't know if the timing is correct. Also, I having trouble with the timing in the chorus part. Should the chords in the chorus part be strummed or fingerpicked and should I use hammeron and pulloffs for the single appregiated notes? I hope someone can help. Thanks.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I haven't tried Davids moondance lesson but I am working on Kirks.
Look in the Outasite Lessons Links forum section for Planetalks Moondance lesson. Maybe you can get some ideas on how to play Davids, ( there is a video) :D

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Those are triplets, but not the type you usually see. These are 3 notes in 2 beats (two sets). They echo the timing of the vocals. This instrumentation does not exist on the original song.

This is a situation where a song morphs when you play it for a long time. We've played it where the entire band accents these 6 beats - it's fun with dynamics.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@shebo)
Topic starter  

Thanks, Laz. It helps to know they echo the timing of the vocals.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

My wife was just listening to me play feilds of gold. I learned that song a couple of months ago and everyone loves it. She pointed out that Davids arrangement follows the vocal line and makes up for my lack of singing. She asked me if he has any other songs that do that - and of course he does.

Anyway I am thinking of tackling moondance. I always liked the song. I was wondering if anyone here has learned Davids version and could send me an mp3. I think I can learn the song without a recording but I am sure it would be much easier if I could hear it.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When you have to count a triplet across two beats (in 4/4, it's written as three quarter notes with a bracket and a '3' over it), it's easiest to count regular triplets and just play every other one:

ONE-trip-let-two-trip-let

It's simple, and everything falls in the right place.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote