Clear all

Wish You Were Here

43 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
48.9 K Views
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

awsume nils thanks, your advice never fails...

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

awsume nils thanks, your advice never fails...
Great. Your welcome and thanks :D

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

whats a partial chord stroke?

We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Typically playing a partial chord refers to up strokes where you only play the treble strings. It could however also apply to just playing the bass strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Depending on the song, you strum half of the chord.

Like Nils said, bass or treb.

It comes down to accentuating the notes that are called for, which can be heard by listening to the song.

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

your advice has pottential...but I'm still totally lost

We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A good example is the intro to Old Man in the beginners songs on the lessons page.
The first chord is strummed in a way where it sounds like you are playing several different chords, Listen to the MP3 file and you will see what I mean. It is all the same chord but you are only strumming some of the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

ok cool.

We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

nostra asks:
on the lesson[in the beginners section],there isnt the whole song on chords,just part of it,in the end david wrote the lyric of the song with the chords above them,but i cant get the strumming pattrens of it,i mean,i saw some strumming particing and the the intro and all,but i dunno how the ALL song should be played,just parts of the song,any 1 mind helping me with it just telling me what to do and what come 1st,and so on and so on,thx!have a great day foLks
EDIT:
i did a search on 'wish you were here' in this forum,didnt get any thing that helpd me,so i wasnt lazy:D

David replies:
You might want to reread (or perhaps read) the very first sentence after the first MP3. That initial pattern can be strummed for the entire song. It pretty much is, in fact, in the original recording.

Then you might want to reread (or read) the whole first part of the lesson. The whole point of this particular song lesson is to get the beginning guitarist to not be hung up on precise strumming patterns because, for most music, that's not what the songs are about. Let yourself get a natural rhythm and become a guitar player instead of a recording device.

Not that there aren't times when you'll want to be able to copy a rhythm exactly. But this lesson is not only not about that, it's about not worrying about it!

If that makes sense... Wink

Peace

A reminder, folks, to keep all the questions on a lesson together. Please don't start new threads on a lesson. This forum is designed to compile all the questions and answers on any given lesson in one thread in one place.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

i got it now,ill be ok somehow:D
thx allot and sorry make some trouble on that thread:D
have a gr8 day

ReplyQuote
(@nostra)
Eminent Member

im proud to inform you all that i now know how to play 'wish you were here":D thx so much 4 the help david and the others:D
now thats a good feeling

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@tduffut)

I saw someone had posted that the mp3 for the em7 to asus7 chord change did not match notes provided for the second part of the intro. I am not sure it was answered later on, but i would appreciate if someone could elaborate on what is going on here. I dont know if he just picked the chord instead of strumming it or what. The lessons provided on this website are the best I have seen on the internet. Everyone involved does very thorough and informative work.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@jaques)

This was a great lesson. I mastered the chords & the solo, & it's pretty much the only song I play at parties. Thanks, David! Hopefully there will be a part III that "will cover playing both parts at once ... " :)

ReplyQuote
(@indecentangel)

I think I got it!!!!!!!! I just want to add David your wonderful.... your lessons did it. I've always wanted to play guitar. At the age of 8 or 9 my mom sent me for lessons but the instructor refused to let me reverse my strings. I couldn't/can't feel it playing right handed. So out of frustration I told my mom I didn't want to go any more. But in my bedroom alone I reversed strings as best as I could & I'd just tinkered with it. Guitar remained my desire. So now that I'm an adult I went out I bought myself a left handed guitar. And thanks to this lesson your lessons....my dream has come true.
And thanks to all my brothers & sister in music. You've all been a help on this site.
Much respect. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3