Clear all

Artists with best lyrics?

112 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
14.5 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You aren't too young....just messing around.

ReplyQuote
(@musicmaniac221)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm messing around or you are?

Do what you love, love what you do
http://www.acidplanet.com
-Nick

ReplyQuote
(@thecureboy)
Eminent Member

come on what about john lennon or paul mcartney?Robert plant.Rober Smith!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@mr-d)
Eminent Member

Interesting thread, I've gained a whole new appreciation for lyricists I hadn't paid much attention to before.

I love the lyrics of Johnny Cash, Dylan, John Hiatt, and often Roger Waters. Mother is a fantastic song, simple but brilliant I think. I even like Eminem. I defy anybody to manipulate the english language into something that flows as well as his stuff does. The man is talented even if you don't like his music.

musicmaniac, I know people have been ganging up on you a little so I'm gonna just give you some helpful advice. Broaden your horizons! The guys you're mentioning are far from the greatest song writers of all time. You've simply named the song writers for some of the biggest bands in your preferred genre. There's not really anything wrong with that in and of itself, except that you don't have anything to compare to. Those guys are very good songwriters, part of the reason they're so popular is that many people (as misguided as I feel it is) identify with their lyrics very strongly. I can tell you with 100% certainty though, that if somebody suggested to them that they go listen to a certain lyricist they wouldn't say "no thanks, i like my stuff". They'd go and listen, and they'd listen very carefully in an attempt to gain something from them, and I bet that whether or not they liked the song they'd be able to appreciate the skilled songwriting involved.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you like to write your own lyrics you should listen to absolutely everything, but cause you can learn something from anybody and it'll make you sound more original. With as few influences as you have it'll be very hard for you to not write lyrics that sound just like Tool or APC.

Hope you take this to heart, there's worlds of great music out there waiting for you :)

Dillon

I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV

ReplyQuote
(@opeth)

My top three in order would have to be Opeth, A Perfect Circle, and Avenged Sevenfold(Waking the Fallen only though, I can't bear their earlier stuff). Opeth's lyrics are especially strong in the album Damnation, and also the songs A Fair Judgement, Credence, and To Bid You Farewell. They write beautiful lyrics with even more beautiful music., unless it's a heavy song, then it's not really meant to be that way.

ReplyQuote
(@musicmaniac221)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, to everyone who gets this:

I have been inactive in writing for several reasons.
1.) Midterms are a bitch.
2.) Busy studying for midterms.
3.) No good ideas :)

Thank you mr d. You are right, I probably should broaden my horizons...but honestly, I do like to stick to my genre. I dont know why. Just attached I guess. So thanks for the understanding and advice. annndd...I dont have an artist with good lyrics....actually. Eminem does have damn good lyrics...even tho i hate him as a person. Also...Jason Mraz...he has some good songs also (odnt listne to him but oh well). neway, thats my bit of info for now.

Do what you love, love what you do
http://www.acidplanet.com
-Nick

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Dylan
Springsteen
Neil Young
Aimee Mann
Lennon
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
Jim Morrison

um, that's it so far... :shock:

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@mcflyfan)
Eminent Member

Ok, I don't think I'm old enough to cope up with you guys :oops: ....
But my favourites bands are
McFly
Blink 182
Green Day
Yellowcard

Singers:
Danny Jones, Tom Fletcher, Dougie Poynter (McFly)
That main singer from Green Day
Bruce Springsteen (I've heard one of his songs...)
And those dudes from Yellowcard

Fave Songwriters:
James Bourne (Busted)
Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones (McFly)
(er.. I dunno anymore songwriters!)

Yes I know, some of you aren't young enough to cope up with me... :wink:

I'm better than normal, I'm abnormal! ;)
I <3 McFly 4eva!

ReplyQuote
(@dillydally)
Estimable Member

McFlyFan you into the Pop-Punk culture, and you named off all the mainstream bands. Dunno what to say without getting "ragged" on but... there are many bands out there that you will never experience if you just listen to the music that's being played on MTV and all that crud.

MusicManiac what genre do you stick to?

It's 15 Till And She Has The Other 45 In Her Mouth.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

The lyrics of the mainstream black metal band Cradle of Filth really speak to me. It's like poetry really, especially the lyrics to the song her ghost in the fog. Google that one for sure. Very tragic story.

I think the Counting Crows singer could be counted as one of my favorite lyricist. I havn't found a song of theirs yet whose lyrics I dislike.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@mcflyfan)
Eminent Member

McFlyFan you into the Pop-Punk culture, and you named off all the mainstream bands. Dunno what to say without getting "ragged" on but... there are many bands out there that you will never experience if you just listen to the music that's being played on MTV and all that crud.

MusicManiac what genre do you stick to?
Soz but I Don't watch MTV and I have heard a lot of song that were way past my time and I really like them... its just I don't know who composed/sang them and I don't know the song titles anyway....
BTW has anyone heard the song 'Live Like You're Dying' or something like that... I don't mind stuff like that...

I'm better than normal, I'm abnormal! ;)
I <3 McFly 4eva!

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

Opeth, the only swedish band of the mentioned ones in this thread. I guess americans mostly listen to american music.

Actually, it's quite depressing, but sometimes I don't like that I listen to as much music with english lyrics as I do. And then I make it worse by writing english lyrics myself. It's unfair! It would have been so much easier if I could appreciate swedish lyrics, but it's not easy, because I grew up on a diet of music from USA, Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland and Swedish music with english lyrics.

Everytime I sit down and start writing a song, I want it to be in swedish. But the swedish words don't come to me as easy as the english ones. I've written two songs with swedish lyrics and over 20 with english.

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member

I heard a Buddy Mondlock song being covered by a band im into so i went and looked for some of his stuff and i found that hes a really talented musician and song writer even tho his stuff seems really hard to get. I absolutely love the lyrics for his song "No Choice"

It was a love so big that it filled his heart
Till it swelled and finally bust apart
When the love spilled out they called it art
But he never really had no choice

No he had no choice
No he never had no choice
When he gave his river a voice
He never really had no choice

He was thinking that the pain came much to soon
As he locked himself up inside his room
Well it hurt really bad to write that tune
And there were some who could not understand
Why he built those castles with his hands
And he knew damn well they were only sand

Sometimes a man sometimes a boy
And he made some music and he made some noise
But he felt his pain and he felt his joys
It was a beautiful fire inside of him
As he balanced way out on the limb
Could have burnt right through the branch so thin

And they all talked about him when he died
They studied and they theorized
But when they were through they laughed and cryed
It was a love so big that it filled his hear
Till it swelled and finally bust apart
When the love spilled out they called it art

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote
(@geoffrey)
Estimable Member

the facts are these.

MORRISSEY writes the greatest lyrics of all time.

to listen to my songs for SSC click here http://www.myspace.com/impossibleobjects

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member

ummmmmmmm julian casablancas from the strokes

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 8