Clear all

deciding on a melody

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dennett340)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

its not too hard to decide on a bassline but for a given bassline there's so many different melodies and when im trying to write, i cant decide on one.

what's the most natural way to songwrite?

i'm just lost. i;'ve been avoiding songwriting lately and just have been working on playing different classic rock riffs thinking that's gonna get me somewhere.

i wanna go back to the basics. any ideas?

(@monsterbiscuit)

I don't think there's any easy answer to this question except to keep playing chords over and over trying to sing (or play) different melodies until you come across one that you like. Good melodies can be hard to come by for anyone.. And then sometimes they seem to come out of nowhere.

Singing Lessons - Anyone Can Learn How To Sing!

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I think for me the best way is to record yourself improvising melodies over the song. That way any awesome ideas get captured and you can go over the recording selecting the best bits to use in the core melody for the song.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

I have to say, this is not a problem for me...because everything I write begins first and foremost with a melody. If I don't have a melodic inspiration, there is no song. I find it much easier to add lyrics to a melody (especially if I've already worked out the supporting parts and percussion as well) than try to force poetry into music. Melodies have moods and tones, and lyrics can follow from that.

Then again, a substantial portion of what I write has no lyric at all, so maybe I'm not the best person to advise... :?

ReplyQuote
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member

I think for me the best way is to record yourself improvising melodies over the song. That way any awesome ideas get captured and you can go over the recording selecting the best bits to use in the core melody for the song.

Spides is right. Play through chord progressions and sing along any melody that comes to mind. Record what you do, if a melody doesn't come out and hit you right away play the recording back and you might discover a gem. If one does present itself try again or alter the chord progression or try a new progression or perhaps a new key.

When you have a melody you like start writing lyrics that fit the mode of the melody. Sometimes using a similar technique as with the melody, just sing what you feel. You can go back and arrange it and organize it later.

Write on.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote