Clear all

Downloading (P2P)

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm aware that downloading copyrighted material through P2P is illegal unless you pay the necessary dues or you have permission from the author, but for game ROMs (i.e. NES games made for computer) you can download the game and unless you already own the game you must delete the file within 24 hours. Does that apply to music/albums as well? This is mostly because I want to listen to The Final Cut, to see if it's good before I blow my money on it.

Hey.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

you can download the game and unless you already own the game you must delete the file within 24 hours.
This is rubbish, no matter where you apply it - games, music, whatever. It's a justification that someone came up with to ease their concience, or fob off their parents etc. People don't question it because they like it :)

(Not that I'm judging downloading - I'm witholding my opinion on whether it's right/wrong/wrong-but-justified etc. :))

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, I'm not kidding.

on almost any website which allows you to download ROMs it says that the file must be deleted within 24 hours. Somewhere on the site.

but that's not the point.

Hey.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

well, I'm not kidding.

on almost any website which allows you to download ROMs it says that the file must be deleted within 24 hours. Somewhere on the site.

i'm not doubting you but i've never seen this please give a link or email me with the url to one of these sites

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

well, I'm not kidding.

I don't doubt it for a second. Some of them probably even believe it's true :)

...but it answers the question, doesn't it? It's not legal to download copyrighted music even if you delete it after 24 hours. Whether you do or not is a moral question.

For instance, I'm currently replacing my CD collection with downloaded MP3s. Any album I've paid for and lost/scratched/destroyed/whatever, I will download with a perfectly clear conscience. The cost of a CD is all about the licensing rather than the physical product, and I've already bought the license.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

well, I'm not kidding.

I don't doubt it for a second. Some of them probably even believe it's true :)

...but it answers the question, doesn't it? It's not legal to download copyrighted music even if you delete it after 24 hours. Whether you do or not is a moral question.

For instance, I'm currently replacing my CD collection with downloaded MP3s. Any album I've paid for and lost/scratched/destroyed/whatever, I will download with a perfectly clear conscience. The cost of a CD is all about the licensing rather than the physical product, and I've already bought the license.

i agree, and have been attempting to do the same only from vinyl and cassette. unfortunatly a lot of the music i've collected since the late 60s is not available on cd or mp3.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I know this really isn't about games, but I have to throw my 2 cents in here. The 24 hour rule is actually a farce, though Nintendo is the only company who has not been in a legal battle with the makers of emulation software (Sony vs. Bleem is probably the biggest case to date). Here's what Nintendo has to say about it:

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

IANAL, but I would have to assume this pertains to any copyrighted work. You can make a backup copy, assuming you have the equipment to do so.

I won't get into the debate over P2P networks, copyright infringement, or anything of the sort because it's such an emotionally charged issue on both sides of the fence. I believe that between the "All P2P networks are for is stealing" and the "Everything should be free for always" there is a happy middle.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote