Clear all

First Written Song

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, the song is coming really slow. So far by just messing around, I've managed to make a riff but am not even sure if I can work it into the song. I haven't worried about what chord progressions to use because they would sound too messy for this song. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to arrange the music?

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WOW, that was intense.

Good job, OWA.

Wondering if this was the song you wrote while laying on your bed. Can't imagine you stayed down very long. :D

As far as structure, I hear a muted steady chunk, a-chunk with the first verse keeping it some what subdued. Use a 2-4 drum pattern that lays down the low end and the bass single plucking or following the vocal melody. Build each verse with the addition of another guitar maybe keep the chunk and add some riffs or power chords with the second guitar playing opposite the vocal line. By the third verse the song should be screaming all out. (if that makes sense.)

If you decide to on-line collaborate, keep me in mind for any drumming tasks. Since I'm still learning the guitar I doubt I'll offer up anything worth a hoot there. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you decide to on-line collaborate, keep me in mind for any drumming tasks. Since I'm still learning the guitar I doubt I'll offer up anything worth a hoot there. :D

Will do. I have a feeling this song could take a while, if I ever finish it. Usually trying to think of ideas never works for me. They have to come to me. Which seem to come at the weirdest of times. I actually got an idea while writing this post, believe it or not. But right now, I have ideas coming to me for other songs than this one.

My biggest concern isn't this song though, its being able to come up with other songs with the same level on intensity.

If I ever finish this song, or any song for that matter, I'll have to bug my one friend on bass and his friend on drums with me doing the vocals/lead guitar.

Thank you for all your feedback, comments and suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

wow great stuff.

I take it your word process doesn't have the 'word mincer' add on downloaded, because you sure didn't mince any.

I almost laughed when you said you thought of it as a song to be played on an acoustic guitar. Thought you were being sarcastic. Can you imagine Joni Mitchell singing...

I hope you don't live for very long
I hope you're dead by the end of this song

... in her trill voice. :lol:

Power chords and distortion is the way to go on this one.

good luck with it.
Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

I know touching on the subject of profanity in music is just beating a horse to death .. but....

I honestly did like the emotion of the song .. however if you attempt to rewrite it without the profanity I'm almost 100% sure you'll have a better song. Try it .. and then reread it. I'm also a firm believer that if a song will sound good played with just an acoustic and a voice ... that it will sound great with the electric. Call it the "Acoustic Test" or what not.

Just an idea for the music .. since you are still writing it. Try just playing something that comes natural to you ... and then trying to fit the lyrics to the music later ... you will probably end up changing words, verses, even the way you originally thought you were going to sing it .. but that's all part of songwriting - (I think). Whether it means picking up an acoustic and just strumming open chords and getting the basic chord changes to go with the lyrics ...

Or maybe singing the words with the melody you have in your head ... then as you sing ... pick out the note you are singing on the guitar ... I think it works better by humming the melody as you play ...

Just a few thoughts.

But yeah .. this did strike me as a either a punk or metal song ...

I challenge you to do an "unplugged" version of it .. it might give some ideas or a new perspective on the song.

And so I digress ...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Huh? What? I'm confused. How does a song played with open chords on an acoustic then transfered onto an electric make it sound better? I could be wrong but if I took those open chords onto an electric with massive distortion.......wouldn't be kinda muddy?

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nice song, I don't have any problem with some profanity as long as its not just for profanity sake :D If your reading a book where the pirate gets his hand cut off in battle it would be pretty lame if the pirate said; "Drat, that rude fellow cut off my arm". Hope you get the song finished, cant wait to hear it---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@sjboller)
Trusted Member

No no no ... regardless of the riff used .. it will usually still fall within a chord. My suggestion to writing the music was first finding a chord progression that would sound good behind the vocal melody. Then picking out riffs within those chords. Just an idea for the early stages in writing the music .. you know .. getting some chordal structure behind the song ... because that is what the music is based on (in most cases I think) .. is the chordal progression.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so far, I have part of the intro and part of the verse. And what I have for the intro is:

D#|-----------------|----------------------|
A#|-----------------|----------------------|
F#|-----------------|----------------------|
C#|--0--0--0--3--0--|--0--0--4--5----0--0--|
G#|--0--0--0--3--0--|--0--0--4--5----0--0--|
C#|--0--0--0--3--0--|--0--0--4--5----0--0--|

This is what I have for the verse:

D#|--------------------------|
A#|--------------------------|
F#|--------------------------|
C#|------2---3-2-0---2---0-2-|
G#|--------------------------|
C#|--1-1---1-------1---1-----|

So how do I get chordal structure and progressions from them? And do I need them?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2