Clear all

Funny / Not Funny

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is not a song. It's a post about process. I woke in the middle of the night and suddenly had the start of a song. I had read a blurb in the local paper about a woman that poisoned her husband. She had previously poisoned him a few years earlier but failed to kill him a that time.
A bit of the song idea was:

Take this smoothie, it will make you feel alright
Take this smoothie, drink it up and say goodnight
Though you've had a lot of fun
It's time that you were done, hun

Something along those lines. Any way, I decided to research more about the lady and her husband and suddenly felt awful about making light of their problems. It totally rocked me back away from wanting to write anything.

(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There is a song, Accokeek, by my favorite song writer, Michael Smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwE8pG3ZrE8

The song is about a woman that kills her husband and cuts him up. It is a very funny song. I wonder how Michael got around the tragic aspect.

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No responses ? Sheesh. Anybody? How does one narrow down people to single dimension, to focus on the humerous aspect while negating the tragic?

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Hi John,

Funny is Fun. I wouldn't worry about using a tragic event as a starting point. You're not making light of it . . . . . you're simply giving it a different viewpoint. It's a way of dealing with it . . . . . sorta like an "alternative" universe. Yes . . . . I said the word "alternative." I hate myself for it. :lol:

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Oh, and yes . . . . . . some of us are still lurking around this forum . . . . . . . waiting for Godot.

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

John, you don't have to stick to the facts. I think what you have written is a good start. Just go with it and see how it turns out. It's too early in the process for criticism, even self criticism.

I confess that I haven't even been lurking here anymore. I was on another forum and got tired of the negativity and personal attacks. This place is refreshing after that.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@john-sargent)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hobson! Glad you are still around. I haven't found a forum to get involved with on a egula basis.

Regarding my original post, I forgot the classic formula is [time + tragedy = comedy]

ReplyQuote