12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@mewsan)
Topic starter  

I really need help with songwriting! Cabn someone give me some tips? :twisted:

(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

first And Fore most. You need to create an idea of which to write about. This can be done by finding some inspiration, weather its about a stunning girl who works behind the counter at a shop or about how the rain unsettles the water on the surface of a lake.

I like to take a notebook to most places i visit, so if an idea pops into my head i can scribble it down, then when i get home i can rearrange the ideas into some sort of structure and rythm patterns.

The good thing about song writing is that there are very few limitations.. You can write about ANYTHING!!!

Im pretty new to songwriting myself, but i think carrying a note book round is definately worth it.

i know its not much but i hope it helps. Hope to see some of your stuff posted on here soon!!

ciao

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hallo, Mewsan, and welcome to Guitarnoise.

We have a collection of articles which will help your songwriting. Follow the link from our homepage.

In the meantime, these two articles by Nick are easy to follow and contain lots of good advice.

Songwriting for Beginners

Songwriting for Intermediates

And I'm going to plug one more of Nick's articles:

Gin and Diatonic

which is not about songwriting, and I have my doubts about Bach's knees, but I got told off last time I didn't plug it so I'm overcompensating.

We think you'll like it here. Post some of your lyrics on the Songwriting pages when you've got them finished, then sit back and let everybody say nice things about them.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Oh man, that Gin and Diatonic article was hilarious! I can't stop laughing. That one gets a GNoscar!

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

There's only so much you can be taught about writing a song...its all in your mind. a song is just a collection of ideas melded together for a listener to interpret. Basically, write a few melodies and write some words to sing over them, and then its just a case of your personal taste in shaping the song.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Youve come to the right place. Good luck. The best advice I can give is asking your self the questions...:

Do I like any song and do I want to make songs like that?

What is it I like about those songs?

Then do it. IF you dont know what you like, you cant make music you like. Listen to others, incorporate what you like and make it your own.

Observation and assimilation.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@duffgurl2004)
Eminent Member

well lets see you could quit not trying to rude but sometimes you just are not fit for songwriting. plain and simple! but keep on tryin not like hilary duff or nelly got right on their talent! :lol: lol

-MIRANDA BROOKS-

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

well lets see you could quit not trying to rude but sometimes you just are not fit for songwriting. plain and simple! but keep on tryin not like hilary duff or nelly got right on their talent! :lol: lol

Eh? If you don't mind me saying, that was a load of rubbish. Everyone has ideas, therefore, everyone is 'fit enough' to write songs, albeit some are more creative than others.

Also, its not really a good idea to suggest that certain artists have no talent.. if they didn't have anything going for them, they wouldn't be where they are today. You'll find you get better musically if you appreciate where an artist makes success and where they fail.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@bonzai_man)
Eminent Member

My friends always says the artists that I listen to are untalented, like Good Charlotte and Maroon 5, but I say to him, "Well, they wouldnt be were they are today if people didnt like the way they played, and they're doing pretty good". That shuts him up every time. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Actually, they are where they are because they got huge promotional machines behind them. Example: Celine Dion. I'm sure you can think of at least 100 women who sing much better than her. But she has an incredible machine behind her.

As for the point that not everyone can write a song: yes and no.

Not everyone can write a good song, everyone can write a hit. A good song is art: can you paint? can you write a novel? make a sculpture? That's also art.

However, you can paint by numbers, which is basically what the vast majority of hit songs are: recipes and formulas put together, and yes, this is a proven fact. There is a company in Italy which can tell you precisely if your song will be a hit. You know what? It works all the time.

ReplyQuote
(@rosinante)

can anyone tell me about parallel fourths?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory10.htm#relative

Go about halfway down the page until you see the Title "Relative & Parallel Major & Minor"

http://www.wsu.edu/~delahoyd/medieval/polyphony.html This site explains the origins of parallel fourths and their original uses.

And, finally..... http://www.answers.com/topic/polyphony

I don't know if this is anywhere near what you need to know, but it's a start! HTH!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote