Clear all

i think i have ADD

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

whenever i get a new idea for a song or demo, i seem to get too anxious and want to record it right away...even if the song needs more work. this of course leads to frustration when i can't do the parts the way i want because it hasn't had enough time to develop. this usually leads to working in a frenzy which is never good for writing and recording music. does anyone else experience this? do you have any tricks or calming methods which will allow me to break things down instead of just seeing the big picture?

(@psychohillbily)

I am guilty of this crime against oneself too. When I start a new song it is very rough but I can see its potential so I always want to share this and bounce it off of people. I always get the same strange look like " are you being for real?" My wife has learned to say"I don't hear what you hear yet you might want to work on that one a couple of more weeks then let me hear it". So my number one rule for song writing is to make a personal recording so i don't forget the basic idea i had and work on it for a couple of weeks to a couple of months then listen to that first recording again and cringe at the fact that it is me making that noise. then i will decide if I omitted, lost, or added something along the way that should br changed. I used to get so mad when people would tell me "no thats not as good as your other ones" i would be completely blown away. I would sulk for a while then realize they were right and i would be greatful for their honesty. Yet it is at this time I become obssessed with making this song into the vision I saw when i first started writing it. so don't be afraid to subject yourself to honesty even if it hurts. it will refine your ability to know when a song is ready.
Respectfully< the psychohillbilly

ReplyQuote