7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey

I've been writing songs for about two years now, and I recently met a guy with similar musical tastes as mine. he and I have been writign lyrics together for about 3 months now, because he doesn't like writing music, and, or so he says, doesn't know a thing about it. sometimes he helps with the vocal harmonies, but it's usually me doing the music. So when we record songs, we credit the ones we co wrote as "Words by John Smith and Tom Jones , Music by John Smith" (that is if our names were John smith and Tom jones).

So my question is this: I'm currently recording a solo album, because I've written quite a few solo pieces lately that "Tom" either didn't like or that I just wanted to keep to myself. But there are a couple of songs that Tom and I wrote for our album that I think are really good... except for a few lines that Tom wrote that I don't like. I don't think it woudl be wrong for me to record a solo cover of our songs if I credit Tom (assuming he consents), but how unethical would it be for me to change the one or two lines in each piece that I don't like?

"Those are my principles; if you don't like them, I have others."~ Groucho Marx

(@alangreen)

By the sound of it, I think there's enough of Tom's work in there for him to need to consent to your changing any of the words.

Messy.

Alan

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice, I was figureing that was the case but I thought I'd check, I'm no so thrilled about askign him if I can change these lines that he thought were good but that don't quite work for me. he was already ticked that I was doing a solo album anyway

WOOOHOOO! POST NUMBER 100 BABY! jsut thought I'd add that. sorry.

"Those are my principles; if you don't like them, I have others."~ Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@enshoku)
Eminent Member

I believe ultimately the finished product is based on what the performer is trying to convey.  It's hard to sing from the heart if you don't feel the lyrics.  Songs get changed all the time.

Hopefully, he'll grow to understand that changing a line here or there will enhance your performance thereby adding more feeling and a possible greater reception of the song.

The only problem I can see is if the lines you changed completely change the direction the song is going or goes against his ideals.  I doubt you'd do something like that though.

thanks for the advice, I was figureing that was the case but I thought I'd check, I'm no so thrilled about askign him if I can change these lines that he thought were good but that don't quite work for me. he was already ticked that I was doing a solo album anyway

WOOOHOOO! POST NUMBER 100 BABY! jsut thought I'd add that. sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Your talking about tampering with Tom's intellectual property. Without his permission it would atleast be in bad taste. I wouldn't do anything with the songs without his permission.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@duffgurl2004)
Eminent Member

Hey

I've been writing songs for about two years now, and I recently met a guy with similar musical tastes as mine. he and I have been writign lyrics together for about 3 months now, because he doesn't like writing music, and, or so he says, doesn't know a thing about it. sometimes he helps with the vocal harmonies, but it's usually me doing the music. So when we record songs, we credit the ones we co wrote as "Words by John Smith and Tom Jones , Music by John Smith" (that is if our names were John smith and Tom jones).

So my question is this: I'm currently recording a solo album, because I've written quite a few solo pieces lately that "Tom" either didn't like or that I just wanted to keep to myself. But there are a couple of songs that Tom and I wrote for our album that I think are really good... except for a few lines that Tom wrote that I don't like. I don't think it woudl be wrong for me to record a solo cover of our songs if I credit Tom (assuming he consents), but how unethical would it be for me to change the one or two lines in each piece that I don't like?

you could go to "tom" and ask to change because really you share equal rights of the song. and "tom" has a right to say no. so there you go and i hope that helps

-MIRANDA BROOKS-

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

If he say's you can use his songs then you should perform them any way you want. It's your album. Just make sure that you make it clear in the credits that the songs were adapted. Don't put words in his mouth.

Don't lose a friend over it either.

ReplyQuote