influenced songwriting

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 chad
(@chad)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone in this forum agree that your songwriting abilities become more creative when influenced my any mind altering substances? or is this just a rumor? i've heard some of the biggest rock stars mention the use of drugs or alcohol simply for better songwriting?

chad

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I found that when I wrote anything under the influence it was inspired, until I sobered up...then sadly, yet magically it all somehow turned to crap.

I don't think there is any truth to it. Try getting something sensible out of someone who is wasted.

....and believe me, I was an expert on the matter.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

hey chad

yeah have tried it when been drinking not very pretty didn't make any sense add to that the massive hang over and the people that I upset during it .

My answer is no it does not , you might think it sounds good at the time but honestly it only sounds good to you and nobody else

cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

or is this just a rumor?
yup, it is. of the same caliber as the perennial "I had bigfoot's baby" or "I was abducted by Aliens" rumors.
i've heard some of the biggest rock stars mention the use of drugs or alcohol simply for better songwriting?
I've heard others say they'll fire anyone in their band they find out is doing drugs. On the spot. Ted Nugent comes to mind.

If you're writing songs, you need to use your mind. If you need to use your mind, it's pretty much best not to alter it.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@lostbeggining)
Reputable Member

i catch where ur coming from i guess.....certain drugs are apparently known to enhance your musical awareness..........but ive tried it and no.......it didnt come out good.....i think thats completely just a rumour or maybe some people can only let go when under the influence?...............but no im sure this is definetely not a general statement

Rain Shadow

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Well I think it would be unfair to say that drugs will never make you make better music. Some people get more creative, they loose their inhibitions and try things they normally wouldn't. As well, perhaps sometimes drugs can get you into reception of rudimentary beauty and emotion got at without using your sober midn as a filter.

Then again, will writing on drugs guruantee you the next big hit? Probably not. Will they help you make a more expressive work of art? probably not. Will they help you in any way? Judging from the responses on this thread, probably not.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

This doens't work for me.
I had the obsession to write a lyric everytime I came home drunk. To me they sounded great when wasted but as soon as I got sober 80% of the song turned out to be crap.
It's true I had some great lines in there but I don't believe that I wrote them because my mind was "altered" or "loosened". I could've written them with a clear had, too.
The only difference is that with a clear had the other 80% would have come out better as well.
Just my little experience

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've been known to have a drink or two....never touched drugs in my life, never wanted to....what I've found is there's a big difference between writing when you've had a couple and writing when you're had a couple too many....next time you've had a few, try tape rcording a friendly conversation....you might be surprised at the utter twaddle you come out with!!!!

The Mrs did that to me one night....me and a friend were watching football, managed to consume quite a few units....she taped us and played it back for me the day after.....so now I just don't bother trying to write when I've had a few....

Write stuff down by all means, you might find some of that stream-of-consciousness stuff works for you....but don't expect to save the world when you sober up!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Vic

Oh and if you need a reason to stay away from drugs, try listening to Revolution 9 from the Beatles' white album.....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

every 1 has there own way of writting, and gets influnced by certin things. its not fair to say drugs and booze work or don't work, for me personally, they do, but not for every 1. if you already do drugs and drink then give it a shot, I'm not gonna tell you to get into drugs though just for writting music lol

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Oh weed, that is just too easy.

Thanks for being the "straight" man, but I can't accept your generosity.

Someone else will have to point out the obvious. :D

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

whatever you say buddy

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay Weed,

I thought your post was humorous.

You are writing about writing, but:

You have no punctuation to speak of.
The first letter of a sentence is supposed to be capitalized.
You use 1 instead of one.
You misspelled certain, influenced, and writing.

I just thought that was funny.

No offense intended. I just appreciate irony.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

What you said was offensive.

I'm sure the whole world is well aware of your monopoly on spelling and punctuation.

Props

Un-like you, I'm not going to sit here and slander, insult, or just be an ass in general to you, I'm a bit above that shit.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Come on man, I didn't say I was perfect. I didn't slander or insult. I just pointed out the irony in your post.

My apologies if you feel I insulted you.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

Maybe a stupid question:
I once was told that "sound-alike" words could be exchanged
to, too: 2
for: 4
etc..., etc...

I mean that it's not only a gimmick on boards and whatnot but if you wrote it in an essay it wouldn't count as an error, too.
is this true?

does any1, know? Eye am 2 stupid 4 this
CU,
motz

(just kidding)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote