Notifications
Clear all

Just Starting

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rasta)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I am just starting to play guitar and piano + starting to learn how to write songs..I am 20 years old, think there is still time for me to make a living from music or no???? and any pointers on writing lyrics, chorus, songs, for a beginner?? thanks alot

(@blackampeg)

You've got plenty of time left to make a living at music. I'd say that if you were 40. Start a band or join one ASAP. You might not think so, and others might disagree, but in my opinion you need the experience that comes from playing music with others.

As far as songwriting goes....

Sometimes they write themselves. Other times they never get done. The main thing to remember is not to get discouraged; don't think about how good it is until it's written. Do the high school english class thing and revise, revise, revise. Save ALL of your ideas--what doesn't fit in one song probably fits somewhere else. Record guitar parts that sound good to you, save them, loop them with Garageband or Cubase, chop them up and dissect them. Find someone else to write with, it worked for John Lennon. Learn from everything you hear, whover writes the crap that is all over the radio right now is apparently doing something right. Just remember that if you work hard at what you want to do, eventually you'll find yourself doing it.

ReplyQuote
(@lane1777)
Eminent Member

I always found myself to quick to call a song finished, my thoughts are always be open to change, you might have better ideas tomorrow. most people think its a good idea to write with another writer, shop the song and lyric around and if others stumble over the same words or lyric in the song, I change them, but thats just me. re-write is a constant...lol

ReplyQuote