Clear all

Musical Freedom

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I've wrote quite a few songs that I'm happy with these days... but whenever I write music I always seem to be very experimental, and often lucky, and find something that works and then build on it with the theory I do know, rather than plan it out carefully and end up with exactly what I was intending.

However my aim for my musical ability has always been to have 'musical freedom' if you like... I want to be able to write the music that i WANT to write rather than stumbling across it if you know what I mean. So I'm asking you all really for advice on how to advance.

I am trying to really get to know my instruments by trying to learn about where the notes are placed and really trying to understand the relationships between the notes. My theory knowledge is mediocre, but I am really trying with it cause I know how Important it is. I'm trying to listen and think about the music in a different way and find clever ways of telling the stories and portraying the emotions I want... But I find it frustrating when I can hear something in my head but cannot get it down.

Is it just a case of building on theory and developing an acute ear and practice practice practice? Or am I missing something?

Many thanks in advanced

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nathan

First, that was a great question. :D

Now, my answer might seem a little strange. Your question reminded me of one of my favorite artists, Black Francis aka Frank Black aka Black Francis aka Charles Thompson. Frank was the lead singer and songwriter for the Pixies, probably one of the most creative songwriters ever. He has literally dozens of albums, that cover every style of music imaginable. You would have to do some in-depth listening to his music to appreciate what a musical genius he is. And the real secret to his songwriting is that he just completely immerses himself in music. He owns and listens to thousands of albums. But what really sets him apart is his attitude. He writes music that pleases himself regardless of whether other people like it or not. He's never been big on the radio, but he packs the house across America and Europe and has a loyal following. He wrote a song called Freedom Rock which addresses "musical freedom". Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG-ZQWfL2eU

Check out the lyrics, very informative really.

My name is Chip
And I'm different
I don't conform
I wear a different uniform
I'm out of the blue
And so you are, too
Let me sing about one thing that's clear
That nobody owns
The pleasure of tones
That belongs to a guy with no ear
They tried to give me advice
Down at the record shop
I said sit down boys
This may come as a shock
What's all I listen to
It's all freedom rock
How can you free me
How can you free me
How can you free me
When I am free?
I am free
I am free

I love the line about music being owned by "a guy with no ear". He's talking about the record execs there, the guys who run the music business. They don't have a clue, don't have an ear. 8)

So, my advice is listen, listen, and listen some more. Incorporate what you like from all your various influences. This is what will give you your own individual style and sound. And don't be afraid to step out of the box, don't listen to other's advice. That's what Frank is saying, and he knows what he's talking about.

As far as theory, I will leave that answer to the teachers. I'm sure a knowledge of theory is very helpful.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes.

I think you've got some very valid points there... I try to be very open minded when listening to other peoples music, I think as a musician that's very important ... but at the end of the day I write music that I want to hear, so listening is a key point.

I guess I'm impatient, I have a lust for music like no other thing, sometimes I think its insatiable... but at least that will force me to explore different avenues.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions :).

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've read a lot of interviews with songwriters, and many say that they don't "make" the song, but rather that it just kinda "shows up" or "wanders into their head" or "drops in their lap" or they "stumbled over a song while noodling"or some such thing.
Does that sound familiar? It's a valid method.

Others collect ideas in a notebook or on infinite scraps of paper... odd phrases which might make a good line in a song someday, or rhythms or short melodic ideas. Then every once in a while, they shuffle thru their notes and see if they can craft some of the ideas into a song.

Others sit down for a set period of time and work on writing songs. Almost like giving themselves a "desk job" assignment.

They're all valid ways of songwriting. Whatever gets results, right?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

learn a lot about the guitar. when you know what everything sounds like, and you are able to get your fingers on the notes you want to play, well there you go: you can play what you want.
to get there, keep playing new songs, keep learning new techniques, keep working on the old stuff and let it sink into your brain and muscle memory. learn to rearrange stuff you already know. for instance, if you know the c, g, and f chords, learn to play them in different orders and with different rhythms, different speeds/tempos, different pick attacks, etc.
work on all this stuff until you're confident and comfortable with it.
listen to everything.
i realize this is all sort of general.

ReplyQuote
(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

I have not yet advanced to the composing stage - so I can't comment on that but, creativity generally I is something that has been required of me quite often in my life. It is a very elusive thing. I tend to align with kent_eh's observation . . .
I've read a lot of interviews with songwriters, and many say that they don't "make" the song, but rather that it just kinda "shows up" or "wanders into their head" or "drops in their lap" or they "stumbled over a song while noodling"or some such thing.

In fact I chose my sig because I think it's a wonderfully creative way of explaining creativity or inspiration. It gets us'. What we need to do when composing is get to the place where it (inspiration, hums, melodies) can get to us. But of course that is the question asked by nathan - how to get there :?
Well, I've got you no nearer to the answer (just wanted to share the quote) - I guess I'll leave that to others more experienced.
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote