Clear all

My First Song (hopefully not my last)

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Last night I was talking to a friend online and we got talking about our opinions on music. She said that she think's it's just for fun and my opinion is that music is a very powerful form of expression. Then I compared the types of music we listen to. I like classic rock and she likes rap and hip-hop. Well at that point I got an idea for a song. So far I only wrote the chorus and two verses. I'm kinda stuck now so I figured I'd post my progess so far and see if it totally sucks or of it only sucks a little. The song is called "When It Meant Something", and it's about how today the music doesn't really have an in depth meaning but back in the day of rock & roll it went farther then money and "bling". I only have the lyrics at the moment so I have no idea what I should do with the guitar yet. I might go with a driving kind of rock like Boston (part of my inspiration for this song). Let me know what you guys think I should do for the music. Anyway, I've wasted enough time...Here's the first 2 verses and the chorus of "When It Meant Something".

When It Meant Something

I was told of a time
Back in the day
When the radios blasted rock & roll
The rhythms were fast, the solos were hot
All those lyrics really meant a lot

I don't understand
I can't comprehend
Rap, hip-hop, it doesn't make sense
The lyrics have no meaning
There's no feeling in the words
I wish I was back in the day,
When the music meant something

At the school dances
The speakers are pounding
Not with face melting bass lines
But with so called “phat beats”
It's driving me crazy
I want some meaningful verses
But I'm trapped in the gym
Where the verses mean nothing
And the chorus never comes

I don't understand
I can't comprehend
Rap, hip-hop, it doesn't make sense
The lyrics have no meaning
There's no feeling in the words
I wish I was back in the day,
When the music meant something

Well let me know what you think so far...and don't be too brutal... :D

(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is it really that bad? Maybe I'll do better next time! :D

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

No lyrics are really bad they just need the right music and timing. Those lyrics remind me a little bit of 'the tubes' don't know if ever heard of em.... they were great but never became a commercial success. BTW I never checked out this forum I should from time to time

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

patience my good man ...

I only just noticed your song here mate , never think because there are not replies straight away that your work sucks or is bad ...

For me I would like to see more of structured verse / chorus etc ..

along the lines of each verse holding the same amout of lines ...

Verse 1 - verse2- chorus -verse3 -bridge - chorus - outro ...

Along with a more structured rhymne such aa-bb-cc ( hope you know what I mean )

What you have is a very good start keep working on it listen to songs that have simular music styles as what to your looking at doing with this ..

Keep up the writting and posting

Hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies! Hilch, Thanks for the suggestions, and yeah, I get what you mean with the rhyme pattern. I'll work on it some more today. I've been pretty busy the past week or so with finals so I haven't had time to work on it. Again thanks for looking guys!

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

This is a nice song maddmodder. I like it. I don't agree about Rap not haveing feelings tho.
So what do you mod?

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks james. I didn't really mean rap has NO feelings or meanings at all but more that it was a lot more feeling back then. I still have some things to fix so when I'm done the song will probably be totally different. Oh, and I mod computer cases, or used to at least. I really dont anymore but I guess the name kinda just stuck with me. Thanks again! :D

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Thanks james. I didn't really mean rap has NO feelings or meanings at all but more that it was a lot more feeling back then. I still have some things to fix so when I'm done the song will probably be totally different. Oh, and I mod computer cases, or used to at least. I really dont anymore but I guess the name kinda just stuck with me. Thanks again! :D

Cool! I mod computers too...when I'm not 64m1n9!

4nyw4y

ReplyQuote
(@gram99)
Estimable Member

I thought they were great because it shows you care. There is nothing in rock and roll like the simple beginning to "that'll be the day" by buddy holly. They'll be playing it fifty years from now when most of today's music will be long gone and forgotten.
The only bit of advice I'd give is to refer to your subjects in an oblique way. Sort of like Dylan would. I mean we know who he is usually referring to but he never says it directly. That way his songs have more appeal and are not perceived as an attack. Very important distinction I think.
Keep it up, rewrite and revise. Let's see what you come up with.
cheers
gram 99

"Nothing happens until something moves."

Albert Einstein

ReplyQuote
 Joe
(@joe)
Honorable Member

Hey Mad,

No, they're not that bad. Sometimes it just takes a while to get to. And sometimes good or bad, we can't think of anything constructive at the moment, and think we'll get back to it when we can give it the time it deserves. Then you know how life is.

That said, I like the theme. And I agree. Since I'm getting the impression that the great music you speak of is way before your time, maybe emphasize that in the song more. This way it won't sound like someone old who's lost in time or complaining about "Those dang kids!" But someone young who just appreciates great music. Here's an example. I tried a break in the first verse. Since you said you don't have music yet, it shouldn't screw you up. It also sets a steady rhyming pattern. Try it out. If nothing else, maybe it'll spark some ideas in you. If you make some changes, post again and let us see your progress. Best of luck.

Joe

I was told of a time
Back in the day
When the radios blasted rock & roll
And they said it was here to stay.
Rhythms that jived the solos were great
And the lyrics really touched your soul
I wasn't there, but G-d I miss those days

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks for the comments everybody! Joe, thanks for the suggestions. I like them a lot. In fact the ideas are starting to roll in now. Better write em down before I forget! Thanks again guys! :D

ReplyQuote