Clear all

New song! Been a while, too.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Advice on refining, continuing farther, anything would be greatly appreciated. Kind of a beach bum/country-rock feel, my new job made me want to write a flying song.

This mornin,
I woke up still in a stupor
Nothin' but ice in my coolers
And a headache to stop the last war

For breakfast,
I had two more beers
They help to dull all my fears
And take the edge off this pain

I thought,
Experience was a good teacher
So why am I still falling deeper?
F*** it, I need some more rum. <<Not to skirt the censors but I need that to keep my flow.

I know,
I haven't been flying in days now
My DC3 needs another takeoff
But I can't get out of this funk.

Carribean islands and 151 proof rum
Turn a good pilot into an old beach bum
This was the dream but now I'm stuck
I'm a wannabe pirate and I'm out of luck

Last night,
It looks like there was a girl here
Cause that's something I hope I did not wear
I'd like to remember her name

Seems like,
It took my whole life just to get here
But now I think there's more out there
Why can't I just settle down?

I took,
The cockpit over the classroom
Confirmed my rum soaked doom
Why didn't I study law?

Ah well,
I went up to fly for old Joe
So cold you can't feel your toes
At least down here it's warm

Carribean islands and 151 proof rum
Turn a good pilot into an old beach bum
This was the dream but now I'm stuck
I'm a wannabe pirate and I'm out of luck

For reference: "old Joe" is Joe McBryant of Buffalo Airways, an airline in NWT. He's been flying longer than Wilbur and Orville and refuses to accept that turbine engines, let alone jets, exist.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ethan, good to see you back writing. This is..... well, it's a cracking good read. Couple of read-throughs, and I honestly can't see anything that needs tinkering with.

All I can say, mate, is get it recorded - I'd love to hear this!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot, Vic, I'll take a shot at it tonight. :D

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@onesong)
Eminent Member

Well, I've been flying since 1967 and I love this song almost as much as I love flying. I wouldn't change one word. By the way, I decided not to fly for a living. I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it anymore. So, I decided to become a lawyer. Well, I went to the police academy became a cop so I could make a living while I went to Law School. Big mistake! I had four kids, didn't make enough money and the job was too demanding, so I never got to go to law school. I should have stuck with flying from the beginning. I really do like this song!

Take care,
jody

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've been flying since 1967 and I love this song almost as much as I love flying. I wouldn't change one word. By the way, I decided not to fly for a living. I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it anymore. So, I decided to become a lawyer. Well, I went to the police academy became a cop so I could make a living while I went to Law School. Big mistake! I had four kids, didn't make enough money and the job was too demanding, so I never got to go to law school. I should have stuck with flying from the beginning. I really do like this song!

Take care,
jody

I'm really glad you like it, thanks a lot. Out of curiosity, what do you fly? My absolute dream airplane is a restored Grumman Albatross.

Anyone feel the Jimmy Buffett influence in this one? I'd been reading "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" (highly recommend it) and listening to some of his better known stuff. Particuarly Boat Drinks.

ReplyQuote
(@onesong)
Eminent Member

Excellent choice. I hope you've got lots of money though. lol

Grumman Albatross, SA-16, UH-16, HU-16E, etc. are all favorites of the Coast Guard. Great aircraft!

I had a small flying budget so I stuck with single engine land. I owned a Cherokee PA28-140, but sold it to help put a daughter through college. I guess my favorite plane has been the "Citaborea". I haven't flown for a coupla years now. I retired and my small budget shrunk to a tiny budget. I still dream I'm at the controlls though.

Take care,
jody

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the Albatross really is a pipe dream. There's a seaplane landing here and it's cheaper than pavement/hangar fees, so if I go buy anything it'll probably be a Lake LA-270 Renegade Turbo. I'm a big fan of them too.

ReplyQuote