Notifications
Clear all

Not Fair

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chrisfromva)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards. I have a problem, and I'm wondering if anybody else does. I cannot write while I'm sober. I have been sober for quite a while because of a girl, but now I can't write. I just finished my first song in two weeks, and its horrible. Please Help!

(@cheapthrill)
Estimable Member

hey chris,

i am not exactly sure how to help you specifically, but i am going ramble on a bit and hopefully say something that will help.

first off congrats on being sober for a while now, like they say one day at a time. it is amazing how much a man will change for a woman. to let you know i have never had this specific problem myself. something you have to think about is what is different about your self when you aren't sober. if you could pinpoint what it is about not being sober that helps you write that would be the best starting point. but i am sure if you could pinpoint that you wouldn't be asking for our help. maybe just a change of venue of where you tend to write most, get outside or go to a local diner or coffee shop. read a book on meditation to help you relax or relieve stress. go to a museam or a local concert something that might inspire you or calm/relax you. check out the sunday songwritter's group forum here and look at the different weeks topics and maybe that will help inspire you.

one thing definitly don't do is stop writting, even if you think your work is crap. hey, let us be the judge if your latest work is really horrible or not. it may be something that you aren't use to writting about or in a slightly different style so you think it is bad. it might not be that bad after all. that is the main reason this forum is here is to share what people have written.

it may be that you now are going to have to kinda start over with writting relearning how to write sober, like when you first started out writting. i know that sounds bad but you are starting a big thing, writting in a totally different frame of mind. this might just be a kinda down time in your writting that you don't write as many steller things as you did in the past but with time it will all come together for you once again.

i am not sure if anything i just said here means anything but at least i threw my two cents in. (that is about all it is worth) something, even bad, is better than nothing here.

good luck,
-Cheap Thrill

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

Hey,

i think I can relate to you here. I was in the same situation about six months ago. I was with a girl and i found i could write songs quite well. Not just about her and deeper emotions but about anything i could develop ideas easier. I havnt been with a girl since then and my writting now is just as good as it was when i was with her.

If circumstances change within your life i think that alters the way you write and you have to keep trying until you find new inspiration and something which can help you write about the topics you want to write about.

All i can say is keep trying at the song writing. For me it took a while for my style to come up to what i was satyisfied with. I think it just takes time

I know all this is only to do with me but hey it works for someone.

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote