Clear all

quirks in songs

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

iv been thinking about how theres so much to writing songs...not just lyrics and tunes but composition, arrangements, flow, feeling...

what songs do you like that have 'quirks'? ie. when a song does something your not expecting. or has something that you wouldnt think would work but does. that makes it 'differnet'?

(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member

run to hills by iron maiden (mixes history and ends up being awesome)
song 2 by blur (the constant woowho's add alot of feeling to a pretty basic song)
fight the sky by gavin mikhail (can't really tell if it's a slow song or a angry ballad)

personally i'm a sucker for slow songs that going into a bridge where everything speeds up and gets louder and the vocals pick up. It makes it feel the song was building up to something. a great example is monkey wrench by the foo fighters.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I had great difficulty taking in the text of this post, as from the moment I read the title I could hear nothing but "golden brown, golden brown, golden brown"... ;)

'Tis 3/4 time throughout, except the last little rundown of the chorus-type bit, which has one extra beat to make it 4/4. My head still objects to 3/4 often anyway, and interupting it with an extra beat drives me to distraction. If it wasn't one of my all-time favourites I think I'd have grown to hate it for that :)

Locally, I have the The Sways. The musical equivalent of marmite they call themselves, and it's true. This is my favourite, but there's plenty more on YouTube if you like 'em.
A great example is monkey wrench by the foo fighters.
Don't you just love that little tweak to the rhythm before the last chorus? We'd do that one in my first band, and while the rest of them just found it inconvenient to have to remember to do it, me and the drummer loved that bit - I always used to look over and see him grinning like a loon when we got to it :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was listening to "Pool Hall Richard" by Rod Stewart and the Faces not long ago, and thinking what a tough song it'd be to work out - till I tried. There's a simplish riff all done on one chord, but the bit I like is where everything moves up a semitone for the chorus, then back down a semitone for the next verse....like they're playing in A, then Bb, then A again. I don't know enough about keys & modes & scales to explain it properly, but I love the effect!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@iwillbefamouswatchme)
Trusted Member

I had great difficulty taking in the text of this post, as from the moment I read the title I could hear
Don't you just love that little tweak to the rhythm before the last chorus? We'd do that one in my first band, and while the rest of them just found it inconvenient to have to remember to do it, me and the drummer loved that bit - I always used to look over and see him grinning like a loon when we got to it :mrgreen:

thats the best part!! =)

ReplyQuote