Skip to content
Song Writing Comp -...

Notifications
Clear all

Song Writing Comp - Judges, Were Art Thou?

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Vic has been (more or less) hosting this competition and has taken a sabatical. :cry:

So the question is, have you, the remaining judges, been in touch with one another? Is anyone going to pick up were Vic left off? I ask on behalf of all of the song writers/contestants. A lot of work went into each song. Would be a shame for this thing to end just as soon as we got the last entry from Embracethedarkness.

If I am correct, the people that signed up as judges are:
- Vic Lewis (gone to persue a carreer as a rock star)
- Arjen (here)
- Pearlthekat (present)
- Kingpatzer (here)
- Ferris Bueller

Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller... Has anyone seen Bueller?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If anyone wants to drop me a PM telling me what has been going on, who has submitted what, and where I can find them I'll continue as promised.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

All of the entires can be found here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=741246

Vic set that soundclick account up so I don't know the admin (password etc.) but anyone can listen and read the lyrics.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm back - and I'll finish my critiques in the AM ......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'll be listening and judgin each of these songs in the upcoming week.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm back - and I'll finish my critiques in the AM ......

Vic

Okay, Okay, I'll finish them over the weekend - it'd be a shame to let all that work go to waste......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

hmmmm....should we put a deadline on the results? :S

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Feel free to do so but what would the punishment be? Disqualification of the judge? :P In any case, I'm doing my best. And believe it or not, apart from this, cutting up the 'best of GN project' and reviewing songs in the 'hear here forum' I actually have some things happen in real-life, too. I've downloaded all tunes and listened to each one numerous times, but writing it down takes some thought. I am not going to rush it, the quality of the songs deserve better, so it's done as soon as I can get it done.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've downloaded all tunes and listened to each one numerous times, but writing it down takes some thought. I am not going to rush it, the quality of the songs deserve better, so it's done as soon as I can get it done.

Very true. I also have numerous side projects going on, but I'll do my best to get some sort of coherent critique finished today.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

Oh leave the judges alone! Those of us who entered already won. Does it really matter if anyone came in "first?"

:)

Neil

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Those of us who entered already won

Bravo! Now there's a man who has found the true heart of the game :)

All joking aside, I kinda agree with the whole "who-cares-who-came-first" thing (sorry judges, I know you are working hard on it! and it will be interesting to see what you guys think), but to me, this comp gave me a reason to finally get something recorded, which I had been faffing around with and putting off for ages now.

So yeah, it was fun to do and everyones song's were great. We're all winners here :mrgreen:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, saying 'who won' is the tricky part. It's just so much linked to taste in every sense that I feel more comfortable just saying what I liked and what I think could be better. The actual points will probably just be a good target for some proper ignoring.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

First, I find it incomprehensible that the judges should have a life outside of the scope of GN activities! :wink: LOL...

No need to reiterate what everyone said. I agree with you all. It was SOOOOOoo much fun just writing and recording the song in a "deadline" scenario. I learned a lot in the process. Judging the songs myself, of all the entries, I can't tell you who came out on top...but I can tell you that my song/songwriting/recording/etc...was the worst. I really truely and honestly liked everyone else's entires far more than my own.

That's not a humble kind of statement either. I truely mean it. My song paled in comparison. BUT, I had a great time doing this thing, so I'm happy.

Maybe the contestent should vote (not for their own song). Although I am still very interested in hear what the judges have to say about our recordings.

My vote goes to Raystrack. I loved his song.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

yep (to all above comments) it forced me to get of my butt and record something! then that got me to realise i have no clue what i was doing...which got me to realise the recording equipment i had was dodgey...which got me to buy a boss micro br!! which i am still very buzzed about! only had it two days but its seems to be awesome!!

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

I agree with the sentiments expressed and believe it would be hard to pick a 'winner'. As a newbie here it broke a block of months and months. Being given a subject, a deadline and almost instant feedback is just what the doctor ordered - a lake with no outflow goes stagnant.

Chris C reminded me of a favourite saying which I'd like to repeat here for any who haven't come across it.

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them".
Henry David Thoreau

Without wishing to get too 'purple' I'd say this forum is helping quite a few of us get that song out in time and to have done something at all makes everyone a winner - like the ones who have the courage to get up at open mikes - but that's another hobby-horse :wink: .

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2