Clear all

Songwriting Contest - rules draft

67 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
14.2 K Views
(@saint_duud)
Trusted Member

Somebody newer than me?!? I feel special.

So, did we decide on September 7th, or is it still under debate, or does anyone know? (I'm hoping a little that it's not still the 26th, as that's the day after tomorrow...)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I don't tink its the 26th. 90% sure it's 7 Sept.
But I will look to Vic or one of the other judges to confirm. :?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 bobw
(@bobw)

ok then. where/how do I send my stuff?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

hi from a newbie. I'd like to enter a song I've been working on if its not too late.

Nope, not too late. I suggested Sept 7th as a closing date for MP3's/lyrics.....no-one seems to have had any misgivings about that, although if anyone wants the dead-line extending, I suppose it could be pushed back a little....

Back on page 3 of this this thread, I mentioned opening a soundclick page; I've done that, so if you want to e-mail me the lyrics and MP3 files, I'll upload them there....unless anyone has a better suggestion? That way we'll have all the songs in one place for easy reference.....

I've already got Blueline's entry (MP3 and lyrics).....for some reason, I couldn't get into soundclick earlier, so I'll try to upload them in the AM.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Soundclick hasn't worked for me for the past week.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Jusyt wanted to check on the status of this. Have you (the judges) received many enteries? Are we still on for the 7th?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've received e-mails + attachments (Songs and/or lyrics) from Blueline & Raystrack - I'll put them on the Soundclick page as soon as I get a few mins. Been HELLISHLY busy the last couple of weeks or so! Finally sorted out I think - the honey-do list is all crossed out and no further entries will be allowed!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

No pressure mate. Just wanted to see where we were on things since there hasn't been a posting on this topic for a bit. A word of advice, the honey-do list is NEVER done. Let me set your expectations. You will not ever be done. The "list" is self sustaining. Perpetual. A living breathing thing. It has an insatiable appetite!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

No pressure mate. Just wanted to see where we were on things since there hasn't been a posting on this topic for a bit. A word of advice, the honey-do list is NEVER done. Let me set your expectations. You will not ever be done. The "list" is self sustaining. Perpetual. A living breathing thing. It has an insatiable appetite!

LOL!!!! But let me set you straight - after all the work I've put in on this house, and all the money I've spent, I am - for once - in a strong position when it comes to the negotating table. The list is DEAD! Stabbed through the heart, poisoned, shot, strangled and drowned. For now, anyway...... :wink:

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Good Luck to all of the participants. The winner gets the 'Guitarnoise Annual Budding Songwriter Award, 2007'. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good Luck to all of the participants. The winner gets the 'Guitarnoise Annual Budding Songwriter Award, 2007'. :D

Hmmm - that could work. The acronym for that would be "GABSA" (or GNABSA).......or the winner could get a "GNoscar" - silent G like in Gnat or Gnarly.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So - current state of affairs.....

Contestants (to date):

- Blueline.......................DONE
- EmbracetheDarkness
- Ness K
- Smokingdog
- Chefie.........................DONE
- Raystrack....................DONE
- Coleclark
- saint duud

So Pete, Ness, Ken, Cole, Duud - do you need the deadline extending? Shall we say the 14th Sept, provisionally?

What about you, BobW?

Any other late entrants?

Moving on to the judges......Ignar, Kingpatzer, Pearlthekat and myself.......

How does this sound? Five categories.......

Originality and creativity (looking at the song as a whole - lyrics & music).....................................................................................9 points.
Lyrical imagery/lyrical flow (story, rhythm of lyrics etc)...............................................................................................................9 points.
Music - chord structure, melody etc............................................................................................................................................9 points.
Dynamics - phrasing, tempo, overall song structure.....................................................................................................................9 points.
The Whole Thing - how the lyrics and music fit the suggested theme, how the music and lyrics mesh...the overall mood of the song....9 points

1 point - poor, 5 points - average, 9 points - excellent.

and a sixth category - a maximum of 5 bonus points. "Mojo," Ignar called it....basically, anything that tickles your fancy. A killer line, a nice chord change, a cool turn of phrase, a cool guitar riff, whatever......

So Ignar, KP, Pearl.........what do you think? Any way the scoring system could be improved?

So come on people, let's have a show of hands - who's still in? Do you need more time?

Remember, you won't be judged on performance - you're not going to be docked points for a fluffed chord change, or because you're not a GREAT singer, for example, though it might cost you a "mojo" point......

Some people - the writers/artists - have put a lot of work into this, let's make sure it's not just one of those whimsical threads that fades into nothing....hey, we could make this an annual thing.....IF IT WORKS THIS TIME.......let's make it work, eh? Or do we want to be classed as one of those "All talk, no action" sites?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

i have my song written but am waiting for a freind to help me record it (technology is out of my league :S ) well be doing it this thurs night i think so i should be able to get it in on friday, though next monday would be better....i changed the key of the song and am having trouble singing it right (but thats my problem not yours so do what you feel is right)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm still in - my partner (Ness K) hasn't surfaced at all as far as I can tell, so I'll be going solo on this. I think I can have something by the 7th (though it might take until the late afternoon to get it recorded and sent to you, for several reasons).

If I can't get it written / recorded, then the 14th would be really useful - I'd definately get it recorded one night next week (as long as I get it written this week! :lol: )

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@saint_duud)
Trusted Member

I'm still trying to get it recorded. 14th would be great.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5