Clear all

Suggestion for splitting board

23 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey Freaky,

I agree with you except I think a lot of people post looking for a pat on the back.

I used to spend a tremendous amount of time critiquing songs in the songwriting forum. It just doesn't pay off. 9 times out of 10 people ignore the comments or get defensive.

That's why I suggest you pay me. :roll:

At least that way I know you are serious.

Nick

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

it's a personal opinion, which is not what the composer/author wanted nor asked for

What did jus_another_sin ask for?

Read the rest of the thread. It is almost unanimously agreed that he asked for his song to be critiqued. What he did NOT ask for was personal insult.
Grammer and spelling should be tight since those can be criticized

Grammar.

And that's Metallwerk or Metall-Werk (could also be without the Bindestrich), but not MetalWerk.

Those that live in glass houses........... :lol:

Nick,

I agree with you about the back-patting and defensiveness, but I also think you're going to be opening doors to some very personal and hurtful comments. Deleting a post after it's been read is still closing the door after the horse has bolted.

ReplyQuote
(@metalwerk2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I didn't personally insult him. I personally insulted his song. IMO his song was really bad due to all the explatives. IMO they didn't help the song, they greatly distracted from it.

Concerning my handle, my German's rusty.

You really don't think splitting the board is a good idea (see my 2nd post on the subject on page 1)? I think it would greatly help.

As it stands, the beginner songs are mixed in with the advanced songs and we don't know what where looking at (i.e. are we helping someone on a first draft beginner song or a song ready for release?) And the song writers don't tell us. They just say, "What do you think? I want honest opinions."

Well, we don't know what we're looking at. Then we all have to play 20 questions.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I agree. I am not about to let flame wars or hurt feelings in one forum spill over into another.

There was suggestion earlier about an unmoderated section, where people could post whatever they felt like. I said no for the same reason I will here, you can't limit it.

My suggestion? Approach all of the songs you critique the same way. If you are consistent nobody should have any problems.

ReplyQuote
(@metalwerk2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I agree. An unmoderated section is pointless.

I think you're refering to my first post. Go to the first page of this thread and read my revised suggestion at the bottom.

ReplyQuote
(@nocturne181)
Trusted Member

I think a harsh truth board is something we really need. If soemone posted in there they should expect whatever is given to them. If they are looking to go into music as a career record companies are not goign to be sympathetic to the fact that soemone on a forum told them their song was good. Songwriting takes practice just like guitar playing. If you practice a guitar technique doing it the wrong way you will learn it the wrong way. Same with songwriting. As far as any personal insults, the poster can tak heart in the fact that the reviewer likely doesn't know them very well, and though a song is often a reflection of yourself practicing songwriting is part of practicing expressing yourself.

"Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?" Corey Taylor

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

why can't we just be truthful in the songwriter's forum?

Be honest but not mean, encourage and don't discourage, and don't be afraid you're going to hurt people's feelings.

I'm not going to add a forum for this at this point.

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member

why can't we just be truthful in the songwriter's forum?

Be honest but not mean, encourage and don't discourage, and don't be afraid you're going to hurt people's feelings.

I agree 110% with that.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2