Skip to content
The worst rhyming c...

Notifications
Clear all

The worst rhyming cliches in songwriting....

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just thought id start a thread of what everyone thinks are the worst rhyming cliches in songwriting. Words that should never be used in conjunction again! Im not trying to be the self appointed king of songtown, but sometimes I use these myself, they seem ok at the time but its not until i go back over the song a few days later with fresh eyes that they really make me cringe.

(disclaimer; i actually pulled alot of these from my own songs)

Rhyming tears with fears and years,

rhyming eyes with lies, inside and/or cried (the list could go on)

apart and heart

light and night (specifically along the lines of 'you are my light/something something on lonely nights')

and a crowd favourite; together, forever and/or never.

.... any suggestions?

(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Might I say if they work use them ...

In my book there are no rhyming cliches that are worse then others ..

Tears , fears , years ...

Narrows your imaginery down if you writting a song about feelings ...

For so many years , I have shed so many tears
For your love ...
I have to wipe away tears and face my fears
I need your love ...

======

Now that's just off the top of my head ..I'll say it again

there are no rhyming cliches that are worse then others ...

If they WORK they WORK ..

Hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@surly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think that that verse is a perfect example of why those words should never be used together. I think if you can express your feelings without resorting to these cliches then your song writing will be all the better for it.

Anyway, I dont want to offend anyone, if its any consolation i think we're going to win the world cup as well.
No Guus, no glory!

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Please take up this invitation then my fellow country man ..

Sunday Songwritters .. come along and write a song every week

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Bryan Adams is the quite possibly the worst offender on the planet, he actually makes me cringe with them sometimes. I can't do much better myself admittedly, but then, I'm not the one on the radio :mrgreen:

"Fly" and "sky" are particularly heinous, and used by more people than just ol' Bryan. "Stick to you" and "stick like glue" has me instantly reaching for the remote too...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A great way to prevent these horrific combination of words is by getting rid of the idea that lyrics have to rhyme. Rhyme is great if it is the side-effect of perfectly placed words but way too often people force their lyrics to rhyme, even if they have to change their lines, ideas or message to make it happen.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm writing a little piece on just that subject, Arjen, throwing it together bit by bit when I get the chance... then all I need to do is follow my own advice :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Good post Surly.

Might I add Fire and Desire?

In general any weather related imagery combined with those rhyming combos will make me gag.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Its pretty hard to use a rhyme that noone else has used before. Impossible actually. You can tell if somethings original or not, its not all about the rhyming words, the ones in between matter more and the rhymes just fall in to place cause they have to.

If a song is just a string of cliché's with no real original idea then i agree they kinda suck, i think thats what your trying to say. I dunno if id use a different word to rhyme just for the sake being different, i just try to find the right word.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

I don't mind using cliché rhyming words, as long as the lyric as a whole is original. In fact, when writing a pop song, using a cliché can actually be a good thing, because it makes it easier for the listener to remember the song. Then again, there's a fine line between catchy lyrics and corny lyrics, and using too many "easy" clichés can make your lyrics fall into the latter category.

Think of rhyming clichés as the I-IV-V chord progression. Sure, it's cliché, but it's a cliché because it works so well, and every now and then it's just the solution you are looking for. Knowing when to use it, and when to go for something more original is key to writing a good song, or lyric.

ReplyQuote
(@cooker)
Estimable Member

check your lyric`s collection( the ones the proffesionals wrote and made money from)....interesting as I check mine, that on the whole, rhyme is used on chorus`s and sparsely, although well placed in verses....

You can sleep when you`re dead!
"and baby all you need...is just a little more love"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And they actually sell a rhyming dictionary out there in the market...talk about that :shock:

ReplyQuote
 Bob
(@bob)
Noble Member

The rhyme guranteed to set my teeth on edge is anything ending in 'o' which is then rhymed with go. It always sounds terrible. :wink:

Bob

My Soundclick Page

You are what you eat, eat well

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

Actually, the worst rhyme in an existing song, one that makes me cringe every time I hear it, is everything but cliché. However, the metre, the meaning, the rhyme itself, and the place of it in the lyrics makes this one really, really awful... I'd rather hear "Fire" rhyme with "Desire" in every song than listen to this piece of crap.

From the Beach Boys' "Kokomo"...

"Port-au-Prince, I want to catch a glimpse"

*shudders*

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Rhymeing words can make a song be remembered better i guess. I 'm just discovering writing songs myself and its the first thing i tried to do. Sometimes you can use words that almost rhyme or sounds similar instead of an exact rhyme

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2