Clear all

U.S. copyright registration hints?

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm about to do my first copyright registration of some original songs. I've read everything relevant on this website: http://www.copyright.gov/

I'm planning to do the on-line registration and upload mp3 files. For those of you who have done this and don't have any music writing software, do you just upload sound files or do you also upload lyric sheets? Are there any tricks to successfully completing the application?

Renee

(@hobson)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just FYI, I successfully registered on the copyright site and completed the registration for a few songs. I registered and uploaded them together for a total cost of only $35. I ended up not uploading the lyric sheets, just the mp3 recordings.

It all went very smoothly, although it did take a while. I was very careful to read all of the "help" information and everything else.

Not hard to do and worth the effort for anyone who is considering it. I doubt that anyone would steal my songs, but you never know. I once had the intro to something I wrote show up as the intro to a popular song. Same exact timing and all. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Renee

ReplyQuote