Clear all

Using a Brand name in a song?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Maybe this is a dumb question, but maybe one of you will have an answer for me that can ease my worried mind. I just wrote a song, and the first line, plus another line later (and maybe the title of the song...) has the word "Buick" in it. Buick as in General Motors Buick. So I don't know what I would have to do to make this legal were I to publish the song. I mean, singers have always used brand names ( great cliche...."Gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road") but I don't know how evil these corporations are about using symbols of American culture in music. Any responses are greatly appreciated!

(@alangreen)

Well,

CW McColl (sp) referred to a Kenworth in Convoy - the original CB radio single in the 1970s

Albert Hammond most definitely got "a westbound 747" in his song "It never rains in southern California"

and Tom Robinson sang about a grey Cortina at the end of the 1970s

On the other hand, the makers of some TV show called "Californication" with a lead character called "Dani California" are currently being sued by a very unhappy RHCP, and the lines "bye bye Miss American Pie" and "Chevy to the levy" are both registered trademarks of Don McLean.

Chances are that nobody will care unless you're running down their product, so if you talk about Buicks being fit for nothing but the rubbish tip you can expect someone to be miserable about it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you...that is more or less what I thought. I am not slandering the company at all. It's just a reference to an American car, and the title of the song is "The Buck and the Buick." I don't think there should be a problem. Hopefully.

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote