Skip to content
What Do You Do When...

Notifications
Clear all

What Do You Do When You've Lost Your MoJo???

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've never been much of a songwriter, infact I've looked back at some of the stuff I've written and quite frankly most of it is pants.

But at least I 'had' the ability to put pen to paper, fingers to keyboard and come up with something.

For awhile I haven't even been able to do that. I thought I would try the Sunday songwriters this week and NOTHING.

I've totally lost all inspiration.

Has anyone else experienced a complete lack of writing ability? Is there anything that helps?

"We Are The Facilitators Of Our Own Creative Evolution".

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yep, but I'm still going through it - I never seem to get enough time to sit down and try and get out of my rut :cry:

I'm going to be recording a few things that I've written previously (10 years or so ago!), and hopefully that will kick start things again. They're not great, but good enough I think :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That is one rockin' avatar.

Since taking up guitar and writing I'v carried a notebook with me everywhere, to jot down those things that pop up in your head, that you know you'll forget. When I'd sit down to write I would flip through it for ideas and to refresh thought processes.

I haven't written anything in that notebook for over a year. I'm not in a rut I'm in a blackhole.

Good Luck with your recordings, I'm you have nothing to worry about.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hey Pet! You haven't lost your mojo! You've just had some pretty major things happen to you in the last year or so and it just had to take a back seat for a bit. Maybe it's time for a little introspection to get back in touch with your mojo! Or, maybe you just need a good jump start!

I just had a thought! (I know! Don't run!) OneWingedAngel is back, too. Why don't the three of us plan to meet on MSN one evening soon for a songwriting session? I've been in kind of a slump, too, and OWA is a great one for pulling things out of the air! If you want to, I'll get in touch with OWA (or you can) (or she can just read this!) and we'll set up a mutual time, if everyone is agreeable! How does that sound?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That sounds fabulous, lets do it!

Although I'm not the night owl I once was, getting old now ;)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Says the woman half my age! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Says the woman half my age! :D

lol! I feel a lot older, practically ready for my tartan booties and stray cats...

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Since taking up guitar and writing I'v carried a notebook with me everywhere, to jot down those things that pop up in your head, that you know you'll forget. When I'd sit down to write I would flip through it for ideas and to refresh thought processes.

I haven't written anything in that notebook for over a year. I'm not in a rut I'm in a blackhole.

Aye, cheers, and you too :)

The book's definately the way to go - I never go anywhere without at least one. My other half calls it a fetish, but I insist it's perfectly normal to have a stash of 20-odd blank ones lying around at any one time :shock:

...oh, and I can't claim credit for the avatar, just something I came across :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Pet
(@pet_1567860324)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Aye, cheers, and you too :)

The book's definately the way to go - I never go anywhere without at least one. My other half calls it a fetish, but I insist it's perfectly normal to have a stash of 20-odd blank ones lying around at any one time :shock:

...oh, and I can't claim credit for the avatar, just something I came across :)

Ok that was meant to say "I'm *SURE* you have nothing to worry about" Opps.

Fetish pfft! There has to be one in every handbag, one in every room of the house, plus spares, a couple in the car, a few at the office. Is that a fetish? I think NOT!

And it's still pretty neat even though, the avatar.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think everyone goes through writers block at one time or another - hell, it's almost a rite (write?) of passage......

Last couple of months, I've had a lot of time on my hands - perfect, you'd think, for a little introspective creativity. Result - not one song, until last weeks SSG. I don't know if it's the same with everyone, but some people like the pressure of a deadline to work to - others don't. One thing I have learned, if it isn't coming, don't force it - put it on the back-burner, if it wants to come, it'll come.....

Like Elecktra said, a lot of negative things have happened - maybe if you tried to write about those? It's always good to vent a little...and if you can get it into a song, even better!

Oh and as for this week's SSG - I had what I thought was a really clever idea, but I'm having absolutely zero success in getting it down as a song....

Anyway, good luck with the writing....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I've been having writer's block from hell for a long time now :cry: So...I just laid out 3 separate drum tracks on audacity( one 12 bar rock, one 3/4 time country, and one Delta stomp pattern. My challenge to myself is to write and record something to all three tracks. so far the country song is coming along , I have the bass pattern figured out and an outline of sorts.It involve drinking and the wife leaving, Its going to be in the hank Sr. cry in your whiskey type song( non of that new country crap for me-LOL). I'll keep you posted on my progress :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

total lack of ability of writing a song

and the ability to write a half decent lyric I suffer from 6 days out of every 7 , and on that 7 th day they pour out of me as I am usually at the local pub( hotel / bar ) ...and with nothing to write with or the ability to write ..

So yeah I know where your comeing from

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

is there anything that helps?
looking back at inspiration and most of it is pants
fetish? there has to be one in every handbag
i'm in a black hole of tartan booties and stray cats

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Like was said, crunch time helps. I have had a fairly big lyric writing block since about 1996. I have switched more to guitar playing and instruments since then. Formerly, I'd been a singer/songwriter(lyricist). I have come up with several decent songs, but not quite as prolific as previously.

Back in the late 80's early 90's I would sit down with an acoustic and write lyrics to 1 or 2 good songs, then partial lyrics to 1 or 2 more and put some music to most of it. I had more time on my hands then, too. It is all about making time or finding time for what you want to do.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@oldman)

PET, I find myself being distracted. In fact I've been distracted for around 30 years. I have been trying again for the last year or so to start again. Something that inspires me is to see an artist perform who has written a song and is really into it.
The Dixie Chicks web site featured their song and video. Although it didn't make me go and try to write a song at the time, it left me with a good feeling about the process. Also, picking up different instruments to try seems to renew my interest. My hope is that I can write a few songs that I can share with my family.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2