WHY can I not write songs?!?!?!?

32 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm really frustrated, I'm 14 and all I ever want to do is play guitar / sing / write songs..I'm not the best singer but I try, but I can't songwrite at all. I mean I can try and write stuff but it ends up coming off so cheesy..I mean I have ideas for stuff but I just can't seem to get it out in a song form. And it's really annoying me because I'm like "well, if I want to do this for a career or at least play some coffee shops when i get a little older i'm going to have to start writing some stuff" i mean i know you can play covers and all that, but I really want to write my own stuff. So any advice or whatever is appreciated.

(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I been playing and writing for over half of my life, 90% of my stuff is VERY cheesy. The other 10% I am actually very proud of. Just keep in mind, that #1 Practice makes perfect and #2 nobody's perfect.

There ain't anybody who writes a hit every time. And there ain't anybody who don't add a little cheese to their songs every once and a while.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Before you listen to any advice I give, know that I have written only one song! The post above is very very true to my limited experience

:D

I have trouble with lyrics as well, but I've noticed in listening to lots of music that there are a lot of lryics that don't make a whole lot of sense. Also, lots of stuff you hear is just like a conversation or a person's thoughts with a little melody underneath. A really really good local band near where I live has had several songs on the radio, one of which goes like this. It's called Blinded:

You know I didn't mean to make you think
there was a reason for the fall out
Lord I know its not the first time, believe me,
But I'll be fine if I don't think about it

Times don't change with us,
We have lost our way,
nothings set in stone.

See? Its just like an internal monologue. It doesn't even rhyme! There are lots of song lyrics that are quite cheesy in my opinion, by big name artist, but they work becuase it meshes with the music.....more or less. Don't try too hard, and don't shoot down eveything you have automatically becuase it isn't perfect the first time. Often times things just need a little tweak to make them a lot better.

There are a couple great articles on this site that have helped me a lot. Also, its amazing what theory does to make chord changes sound really good. Check out the one called Circle Progressions, its great.

Hope I helped. :)

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@arden)
Eminent Member

Try to avoid cliches in your lyrics, or turn them around to say something original.
Of course, you could try to carve out your own little niche by intentionally writing cheesy songs and calling it satire or some such thing.

ReplyQuote
(@garytalley)
Trusted Member

Get some books about songwriting."The Craft of Lyric Writing" by Sheila Davis is a really good one.

creator of #1 video"Guitar Playing for Songwriters"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

First of all, I don't think that there are to many 14 year old trying to write songs, most I know are not any ways. I wrote a lot of songs when I was 14, at the time I thought it was corny, however when I look at them now I think it is not so bad and I can remember some of my teens through some of the songs I wrote at the time.
But here is my advice if I may: Try to write about things that really matter to you, I am sure that there are a lot of things that interested you. Don't worry about showing your emotions on your song writing, that is part of being a poet, emotions; with out them you probably would not be writing at all. Plus feel free to edit your poetry, it is not done untill you are happy with it, some of your early poetry could do you some good in the feuture.
keep trying, it can only get better; and it will....

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Hey i have some suggestions. If your really trying and everything is coming out very cheesy, don't try as hard. In fact hardly try thinking about something that rhymes or goes together. Just sit down and think about a topic, pick one... any one. Imagine that topic, take in the feelings, thoughts, images, scenery, what is happening, etc. and jot it down. it doesnt have to be in lyrics or anything just get the ideas down. and build off of that. I find thats the way to get some really good sentences. also if you have a few sentences from different songs try to see if they fit together.

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I'm going to be boring and say that music can be interpreted however ones tastes are developed. If it sounds cheesy to you play it for someone else, who will give you honset feedback, like a good friend, or a father. I've found that when I listen to what other people might say about something I've written which I thought was cheesy, it seems to gain some depth, and then you can write ore rewrite with that new connection in mind.
BTW- Music Theory is essential, learn the circle of fifths, and different chord shapes, and you can add alot of spice to "cheesy" songs

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Yes i have to agree that music theory is essential. Thats why I am trying to learn it now. Everything becomes so easy because you just dont know how to play the song... you KNOW it and how it was made. anyway, this should help https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=62722#62722 it's one of my topics I recently started on links for songwriting articles other than guitarnoise. I did this since i figured that if your interested in sognwritng and anyone who is here really already knows that there are songwriting articles on here. So i decided to add some more flavor to our learning experience. Good luck! :lol:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

Im 16, so not much older than yourself, and i have written no more than 5 whooe songs with lyrics, i only think that one of them is NOT cheesy. However when i am playing these songs in my room and my dad walks in asking "what was that?" and i reply embarrased, "my own" and he says, that was very impressive, it is very encouraging adn i think that perhaps these songs arent as "bad" as i first though. No i am proud of most of my songs and am trying to write more, mabey ill post some up here someday

i agree with "bstguitarist", that sometimes if your trying to hard, imagine yourself in a situation and describe everything you can about it. And then from what youve come up with try and mould it into lyrics

Hope this helps

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

start here Songwriting for beginners

Then read this: Songwriting for intermediates

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Many,many years ago - when I was a teenager - I first tried my hand at writing lyrics. The results were dire - yet odd lines and phrases I used then have been re-used in other songs I've written since.......

And one song from those days survives almost virgo intacto, I still mess around with it to this day - so keep trying, don't get disheartened, and try to learn from your mistakes.........something good is bound to come out of what you now look upon as awkward fumblings.......

Good luck and keep at it.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@single26)

I'm really frustrated, I'm 14 and all I ever want to do is play guitar / sing / write songs..I'm not the best singer but I try, but I can't songwrite at all. I mean I can try and write stuff but it ends up coming off so cheesy..I mean I have ideas for stuff but I just can't seem to get it out in a song form. And it's really annoying me because I'm like "well, if I want to do this for a career or at least play some coffee shops when i get a little older i'm going to have to start writing some stuff" i mean i know you can play covers and all that, but I really want to write my own stuff. So any advice or whatever is appreciated. Hey there just to answer your question you just write what's on your mind how your feeling don't worry how it sounds just wirte dont think bout it at all just let the pen do the writting i'm sure you will get just don't give up best of luck to you.

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

It will come eventually. Half of it is getting stuff you really want to write about.

The second half obviously is how to do it, which you'll also gain over time. You'll know when you've found a great riff, or you've thought of some great words to a chorus or whatever... Just keep adapting that using your own techniques or experiences, and eventually the song will be created.

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@pierson)
Reputable Member

I'm only 17 but I have written 31 songs, each one I am highly proud of. I started when I was 13, and I still have 1 or 2 of those. Musical inspirations can be found everywhere. If you find one, and it makes you think of a clever verse or sentence, then write it down on your hand or on a notebook. For example, I was in science class in high school in my freshman year and we were talking about inertia. If you don't know what that is (don't worry I didn't,) it is the force to keep moving unless acted upon by an outside force. Like your body's inertia will force it to keep going if you get into a crash. It made me think of this sentence I used in a song called "For The Last Time" (been officialy copywrited a year ago!)

"You really want this? This curse, since birth has been bestowed upon me?
My inner inertia makes me destroy anything, anyone who rises in front of me!"

Pretty good. So If you think of something in school, work, or whatever write it down!!!!

P.S. send me your song so I can see what talent you have to work with and give you some advise. It's a shame to waste good talent because it wasn't properly trained and used to it's full potential.

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3