Clear all

Writing for female vocalist

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm in a rock band (ala Nightwish) and I'm the lead guitarist. We have a female vocalist, who is a great singer, yet fails to write 'our style' lyrics. I, on the other hand, can write pretty good lyrics and before this vocalist joined our band I used to write all the lyrics. But then our male singer left the band because we wanted to change the style to something with which we felt more comfortable, and we got this female vocalist.

So here I am with this problem:

I write, a voice of a male in my head (obviously... beacuse im a guy) and i'm having trouble imagining a female singer! When i write lyrics i fell the lyrics as if being sung by a man, which is not good... beacue our singer is a fem.

So, anybody ever encountered this problem, and if so, can you tell me how you go about it?

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Maybe collaboration with the female vocalist?

She would be able to interpret what you are saying, put it into "female" lyrics and also makes it sort of HER song as well.

I would also think she would put more energy and talent into it, live, knowing she helped produce/create it.

Otherwise put on a dress and lipstick and THEN write. :wink: :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Maybe collaboration with the female vocalist?
She would be able to interpret what you are saying, put it into "female" lyrics and also makes it sort of HER song as well.
I would also think she would put more energy and talent into it, live, knowing she helped produce/create it.
Otherwise put on a dress and lipstick and THEN write. :wink: :wink:

Excellent advice, Bish! I know that there are a lot of female vocalists out there who are NOT encouraged to participate in the writing process, and, IMHO, it's a skill needed by ALL vocalists and musicians, regardless of gender, if for no other reason than completely understanding the song from beginning to end and knowing exactly where to put the vocal nuances.

I would also suggest listening to LOTS of different female songwriters. And not necessarily the very "well known" ones (although you can definitely learn a lot from them!), listen to some obscure stuff, where women don't necessarily write "female" lyrics. 4 Non Blondes pops into my mind, they wrote as musicians rather than as "female writers". Listen to different genres, too. And, most definitely take Bish's advice!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Otherwise put on a dress and lipstick and THEN write. Wink Wink

This thread is useless without pictures !!! :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ROFL @
Otherwise put on a dress and lipstick and THEN write. Wink Wink
sure sure. but thanks for the other advice :)

Il_Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i had a similar problem with a female vocalist, we where less metal, more heavy indi, she was a soul singer. In theory it woulda worked. a colaberation worked well so yeah. thats the way forward. or i'd write the melody on guitar or keyboard and play it to her.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member

well maybe you could try to put your mind in a female's perspective (yeah, i know that sounds wrong....) but you never know, it might just work

ReplyQuote
(@chris_skilton)
Trusted Member

i also have the same problem with my band we used to have a male singer but now we have a female. She is good And maybe if u tlked to her and told her what you thought and then start writing a song template with her then maybe in the future you will have an idea on the type of lyrics she likes. :x

Woot Woot!!

ReplyQuote