Notifications
Clear all

100 solos - day 1

43 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Man, Stairway is a gd solo but it just isnt the best ever!
Hotel California and the first solo to November Rain top it easily. I've got a live video of Hotel California, its so amazing in the solo the way some parts the two guitarists will play in unison, some parts in harmonies, some parts one or the other will play...It amazing on its own anyways!

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Good luck with Under A Glass Moon in one week.. Uhmm.. Cementary Gates.. Mmh. That solo is just pure sex. Oh. And Walk. Oh, and Man In A Box.. That sure is a great compilation. Although did it really need 3 RATM tracks, I mean.. there's a lot of bands on there more than once and I'm guessing there's enough for each band to just get one spot. Ah, well.

Number of the beast. Rawr.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Geez, I've been working on the Crossroads solo for about a year now and you're going to do it in a week. What a slacker I am.
I know what you mean, it took me a year just to learn Layla Unplugged, I hate being a slow learner. :?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol! Good call with the eruption thing man.

I was thinking after I read your first post, "If he thinks stairway to heaven is blazingly fast...how the heck is he going to do eruption"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

I think it's a pretty pointless thing. You'll spend well over a year if you learn to play them correctly (unless your Yngwie Black Star won't be done in a week!!) and even if you did you'll be suprised at how useless it'll become. I did a similar thing a while back. Learnt loads of Metallica solos, played them perfectly, note for note. Then you play them to people and no one recognises them, not even Metallica fans because in reality people never really listen to solos. They just go past them! If i were in your position i wouldn't just learn the solos but the whole songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

^Definetly agree, I think you should work on whole songs, and take your time and have fun and learn them to performance level. Don't rush through a solo and sorta get the jist of it down, actually learn the whole song, don't just spend a definite amount of time on it, practice it untill you feel it is at least somewhat presentable. I'd much rather listen to someone play all of acoustic layla than half of the stairway solo, then the beginning of eruption at 1/2 speed, and a few other bits and pieces of other solos.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Well I wouldnt go that far, learning whole songs is good practice, and putting all together perfect timing n all. But going through all those solos will be incredible helpful with your technical ability and add to your lick library.
Oh and you'll find yourself learning things quicker and quciker

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you want to be a good lead player, the best way to learn is to study the lead work of people who you admire in the style you want to play.

This is a great excercise to that end. Doing all 100 in a year is probably not realistic, but that's not the point. The point is that once you've got a few dozen of these under the belt, you'll have learned a lot about how to put together a kick-butt guitar solo.

Couple of hints:
Play everything clean, no distortion, no reverb, no compression. Get to the point where it sounds great clean, then when you add effects it will sound even better.

Once you have one down, don't ignore it. Keep coming back to it and keep it fresh. When you have 20 or 30 under your belt that won't be easy, so make a practice log to make sure you don't let stuff get too stale.

People won't recognize solo's outside of the context of the song, so record some rythm backing tracks for yourself.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

One Lifeson selection, and they pick "Working Man???" :shock:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member

...or if you haven't already, get some free backing tracks to solo over here:

http://www.guitarbt.com/

This space for rent

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I haven't seen a response to Vic's question: where do you get the CD?

I for one am interested in obtaining the collection.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

i think you have the right intentions, but are going at it the wrong way...if you are not great at electric, i dont think its wise to try to play these solos. 99% of them are insanely fast and difficult, even for professionals.
I for example, have been trying to learn the ONE solo for over a year and some parts are just too ridiculous.

rather, i think you should set up a metronome, or drum beat, and practice scales. start slow. work up. youll progress MUCH more this way, youll learn theory, have a foundation to improvise off of..

THEN you come back to learn the solos by analyzing how those guitarists used the particular scale to give you ideas for yourself.

easier said than done. i know. but its the best way.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

i think you have the right intentions, but are going at it the wrong way...if you are not great at electric, i dont think its wise to try to play these solos. 99% of them are insanely fast and difficult, even for professionals.
I for example, have been trying to learn the ONE solo for over a year and some parts are just too ridiculous.

rather, i think you should set up a metronome, or drum beat, and practice scales. start slow. work up. youll progress MUCH more this way, youll learn theory, have a foundation to improvise off of..

THEN you come back to learn the solos by analyzing how those guitarists used the particular scale to give you ideas for yourself.

easier said than done. i know. but its the best way.

I agree. It's very true that ALOT of guitarists want to play solos that are ridiculously fast and technically demanding... so they spend weeks and months trying to learn it and by the time they think they have it, it sounds horrible because of lack of proper technique or whatever else. I think that a mix of learning songs (and solos) along with some technical/theory exercises (playing scales, arpeggios, etc.) is the best way to go at it. Personally I think the best thing to do would be to start with something basic and REALLY learn it, and what I mean by that is be as picky as you can in every aspect of your playing.

But I wouldn't necessarily not learn any solos before learning scales, I say just go for it and play.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i can't believe that slow ride is not on that list, that is an awsome solo.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I think the solo Tender Surrender is probably in fact the best solo i've ever heard, although its not even on the list

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3