30 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I like that Carvin it is sweet

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my prs has almost the exact same shape, and that volume knob will take your knuckle off if you strum hard.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

I would personally never sell my guitars... too attached, but if i were you I would get a schecter, a LP BFG, or a
LP Custom<-- (Might be too expensive).

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That Carvin is very sweet. :shock:

And the shape IS very similar to PRS. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

although now that i look at it again, they might be recessed.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Definitely keep the SG, you're so going to regret it otherwise. As for a new guitar, just play them. If you like it, buy it. My favourite guitar right now is a beat-up Japanese guitar from the 60s which was $50 or something. If you can't find what you need within your budget then just save up some more. But in general it's about the guitar and not the pricetag, so don't focus on specific priceranges.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Keep the SG, everyone that I've had and got rid of I've regretted. They have a sound and a charm all their own.

Carvin has always been underrated, IMO, the reason is their mail-order status, I've played a lot of their guitars and amps and they are great. Real world workingmans guitars and equipment. Solid as H***. That California Carved Top is really nice.

I don't think that Paul Reed Smith worked for Gibson, but he did do a good job of coming up with really good guitar that is neither a Gibby or a Fender, just a good alternative and combination of the best of both! Hard to argue against them!

Heritage is another underrated guitar maker, located in the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory and staffed by ex-Gibson employees, they are a really good alternative to Gibson. I've had the pleasure of working on new Heritages and vintage Gibsons and they are almost identical in construction and quality, beats the hell out of a lot of new Gibsons in fit and finish, really reminds me of "Custom Shop" gear. Their version of a ES 335, (I think it's called a "535") plays and sounds like my 67 335, no mean feat. And at least half the cost! If they had the corporate power of Gibson, Gibson would be in a lot of trouble.

Hamer is another one, great quality, great prices. Especially the older ones. You can still find great deals on them but the word is getting out about them.

I haven't had a lot of experience with BC Rich, but their must be something to them, BC Rich players are the most dedicated enthusiasts I've ever run across, almost to the point of violence when you tell them that they are junk.

Of course, all this is just my opinion...... :roll:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I have a Carvin CT-6, and I just bought a Carvin bass. They are great guitars. I would buy a Carvin if I wanted a great guitar I wanted to keep; but they just don't seem to hold value for second hard, mostly I think because they lack the marketing and hence brand recognition.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I used to take lessons at a small guitar store that sold Heritage guitars and they were beautiful.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As usual, my mood changes quickly. I'm leanning toward keeping the beat-up relic strat now... it just has a cool vibe to it. I'm undecided on the SG...

BUT, I am probably going to have some cash free shortly... so I am still looking at a possible purchase... The Carvin is in the mix, and I have looked at some Hamer's (I have a Standard already and it is amazing).

I did play a Telecaster Deluxe (the deluxe line of Teles with the S-1 switching, not the Deluxe model with the two humbuckers) and it played like a DREAM. Ubelievable. I don't know if I want to pay $1100 for a Tele...

McCarty worked for Gibson, who then worked with PRS to develop their guitars.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You are correct, Steve.

And they've even named a guitar after him and it's very similar in sound to the LP. So I've been told.

I took another look at the Carvin picture and noticed the high E string is sitting cock-eyed in the saddle...LOL.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member

personally i would go for this
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGT220A
its one of the best guitars i have ever played...i was just so smooth playing, i just had everything over a les paul and sg

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The Carvin is not a bad idea at all. From what I've heard, they make extremly high quality guitars, basically as good as PRS, but because they don't go through a middle-man to sell them, the price is much lower.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

double post

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

dali,

for 1100 bucks your not going to be able to buy a new lp custom, your talking 3k,
keep the sg save for the lp. 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2