Notifications
Clear all

12 string songs.

42 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@fizz6207)
Topic starter  

Ok so just recently i got myself a new 12 string. I've been looking forward to getting one of these for a while now!

I have been hoping to expand my musical range and this is one way I have gone about doing it, however since I'm mainly into metal I dont know too many artists who play 12 strings or have songs on 12 strings.

I've learnt a couple, Opeth's "Closure" and some Led Zep tunes but I was hoping for some more so I thought you guys could make some suggestions!

I'd prefer standard tuning songs as it obviously takes a while to re-tune to an open tuning it but I'm open to anything really, just give me some ideas.

Thank you for your time.

(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Google "Under the Milky Way Tonight" by The Church.

Many tabs on the internet have it as a 2 guitar (hi and lo) song, but I think it was originally a 12 string song.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi is played on a 12-string.
You can find an easy version of it in the easy song database. :D

Welcome to Guitarnoise :P

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Just about anything played on an accoustic guitar will translate well to a 12-string.

Best

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Including most/ all? of David Hodge's lessons :P

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd

Basically anything played on a 12-string can be played on an acoustic and vice versa, I love 12-strings congrats on your purchase.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

12-strings = hot!

hard days night, i think harrison was playing a 12 string.

Knockin on heavens door sounds great on a 12 string!

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Something to think about, you may want to tune it into "standard" tuning a step or so down. That's often been recommended for 12 strings, due to the increased total string tension.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

A stupid question, but what do the extra strings really do for you? I've never played one, and have always been a little confused about the what's and why's.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well , my favourite 12 string is 'Give a little Bit 'by Supertramp or Goo Goo Dolls , whatever version you like.I play a classical guitar and it sounds awesome on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Google "Under the Milky Way Tonight" by The Church.

That is a GREAT SONG!!! That album is good.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Ricochet - I've heard this advice also. Wouldn't a 12-string be designed/built to withstand the added tension? Or does beefing up the neck result in something difficult to play?
Just curious, I don't own a 12-string (but wish I did :wink: )

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

Not sure you have this magazine in Australia, but I just got the latest copy of Guitar One and they had a list of tab for 12-string songs.

Worth a shot.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

A stupid question, but what do the extra strings really do for you? I've never played one, and have always been a little confused about the what's and why's.

The extra 6 strings are tuned an octave higher, it's like a normal guitar with a tiny string beside each string that's tuned an octave higher. This basically gives you a bit of a fuller sound, some describe it to be like a chorus effect, but in my opinion a chorus pedal is no replacement for a 12-string! I played one of my friend's 12-string before and it was great, and the fact that you have to fret 2 strings with one finger is really not hard at all. In all reality, if I had the money (and could find one in general) I'd buy one because they're so much fun.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

The extra 6 strings are tuned an octave higher, it's like a normal guitar with a tiny string beside each string that's tuned an octave higher. This basically gives you a bit of a fuller sound, some describe it to be like a chorus effect, but in my opinion a chorus pedal is no replacement for a 12-string! I played one of my friend's 12-string before and it was great, and the fact that you have to fret 2 strings with one finger is really not hard at all. In all reality, if I had the money (and could find one in general) I'd buy one because they're so much fun.

Cool. Thanks for the info! So they are played normally, but give a fuller sound. I'll have to check one out next time I'm in the guitar store. Thanks!

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3