Clear all

12 String Strings?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I got a new Tak 12 string. The sales guy says try it with extra light strings before I make any truss rod adjustments. The axe comes with Daddario EXP .10 to .47 strings. So I go to my local music store and buy what should be extra light strings, they are Martin 80/20 bronze but labelled Medium the owner there says they are really Extra light. I compare when I get home and they are also .10-.47 with a .08 steeel G string????? What do you people recommend for extra light strings for a twelve? I haven't opened the new pack and may take them back and exchange them. Will likely have to order as the Martins are apparently the lightest available locally. Is there a set of strings lighter than the .10-47's, or does the light extra light have something to do with the windings on the wound strings.I am confused.
Robbie

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There are sets starting with .009, and also, Ernie Ball I think, has sets that start off with .008. Don't worry about the octave G string, they're always really light anyhow.

You could check over at juststrings.com, even if you don't buy them online, you can get a good reference as far as brands and types.

Usually the 'acoustic' strings don't go down that low. I'd have to check though. It's the electric 12's that start at .009 and .008. I have, and do, use electric strings on my acoustic 12; on recordings and stuff, the difference is minimal.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

As DemoEtc says, there are a few brands starting at .009 gauge or maybe even smaller. For some reason Martin calls their 10s "extra light" while most others seem to call their 10s "light."

The octave G string is typically the thinnest one in the 12-string set, so that's not unusual.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I always buy 2 extra G strings one the same size and one size bigger seems when I'm set up with Nashville tuning(the high strings from a set of 12) I always break the G string.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx for the help so far, instead of a bump I'm going to ask those of you that use extra light strings on your 12 tp let me know what brand you prefer and what guages they are. I am assuming that the lighter they are the easier it will be to fret barre chords etc. until I am used to the new axe.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

For me it's D'addario, starting with .010s. I think it was the EJ36 pack, because I was going to be doing lots of acoustic live playing and wanted 'acoustic' strings. Wow that was last year, April.

Before that I had a set of the Gibson electrics starting at .009. That was on the same flattop Epiphone, but I'd stuck an old Strat pickup in the soundhole for some recordings. I think Gibson discontinued that set. But they were real nice because they were really light bottoms, .040 or something. I think GHS copied that set. Oh there it is on juststrings.com; it's the #605 set - .009 - .042.

For the stuff I do, recorded, the 12-string gets mixed way back in the final mix, so the differences between electric and acoustic strings is minimal. It's just more of a 'wash' in the background except for a couple of fingerpicked solos.

For the live stuff, again it didn't matter that the guitar wasn't what would normally be considered a 'premium' model. With the sorts of mics we found onstage, and the variances of PA gear for the venues we played at, even if I had a good Martin or something, it probably wouldn't have made a difference sound-wise. Good stage guitar though.

String choice would've been even less of an issue. But I just 'wanted' strings that were called 'acoustic' just for my own satisfaction.

Thing is, one thing I don't like about bronze/brass strings, is the smell of them; like old pennies or something. Plus they leave dark marks on your fingers. I like the feel of steel and nickel, I guess.

Regards

ReplyQuote