12-string tuning

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@tromboneking)
Topic starter  

Hello,

new guy so don't hurt me! LOL

seriously, I have a Hondo brand 12 string and had a few questions on tuning. When I first got it, i had it tuned to the normal 6 string equivalent. Then several years later, I had some issues that the repair place said was a bowed neck. They fixed the neck and said that I should never have tuned the guitar to the regular 6 string tunings and should have tuned it down a whole step down.

Now in checking the website, I've found that you can (and possibly should) tune the guitar to the 6 sting settings. I play in a small group that has a piano, keys, and a 6 string. I've got a capo but it seems unnatural for me to use it so I was wondering where exactly the tuning should be for the guitar. Should I use the same 6 string tunings that I use for my other acoustic and electric guitars? Should I tune up to the normal settings and then detune it after I'm done playing?

Thanks!

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi tromboneking, welcome to GN. I personally would do what the repair tech said and lower the tuning. Some 12 strings can be tuned to standard tuning and have no problem. It seem's like yours might need to use the lower tuning. Practicing with the capo will make it feel as natural as without it. Good luck.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If "they" have fixed the neck, it could have simply been that the truss rod needed adjusting, and now that it's set to the correct tension the problem shouldn't recur. It used to be a problem many years ago with 12-strings, but with today's technology there's no reason why your 12-string shouldn't be kept in standard tuning.

Personally, I found it took so long to tune my 12-string it wasn't worth faffing about with different tunings - just kept it in standard, I never had a problem with it. Sold it eventually - I just didn't play it often enough to keep it.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gasbag)
Eminent Member

For what it's worth I tune mine down a full step. I rarely play with anyone so it doesn't matter and if I need to I can capo it up. To tell the truth I actually like the deeper sound a bit better. I also put a set of 10's on it. I believe it came with 11's when I bought it.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i tune my Tak 12 to standard and i've never had a problem with it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Mine's dropped a half-step and I've never had any problems with it in a year, even though there must've been some serious scrimping done in the building - it cost £60, new ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I've always kept my Taylor in standard. I'd never actually even heard of tuning a 12 down until I read about it on this forum a while back. But it the neck started bowing, and the tech told me to tune it down, I would! I love that guitar! 8)

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@tromboneking)
Topic starter  

My guitar is an older one...I got it back in college about 15 years ago and yes, they did have to fix the truss rod. Guess that means I'll need to play a bit more...erm, actually FIND more time to play/practice! LOL!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote