12 string

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Heh, looks like here's another person with GAS ^^
So far I've got a Spanish Guitar, of some vague brand, a Western STAGG (I think you'd call it a dreadnought) and an electric guitar, some Ibanez. Now I'm thinking of buying a 12 string. I love to try new things :) My budget is somewhere around €400, which would be somewhere around $500 I think.
Two questions:
a) is it very difficult & different to play on a 12 string?
b) some names of good ones in this price category

thanks a lot in advance :D

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

If youre lookin for a 12 string acosutic, I know fender has one for i think $350, it maybe a bit more expensive, but still within your budget.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

a) is it very difficult & different to play on a 12 string?

It's like anything else it takes a little getting to get use to. Well worth the investment.

b) some names of good ones in this price category

With so many brands on the market it comes down to being your decision. I'm partial to Yamaha, Fender, and Gibson.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

why is there a huge gap of nothing between my post and the first post?

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, I guess I just have to go to the guitar shop, try out a few ones and just pick the one that sounds best to me
thanx anyway :)

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

heh that gap was my avatar I guess :P I noticed the gap too, and removed my avatar again... I tried to attach one just a few mins ago ;)
I'm a disaster with computers...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Karla, if you have problems with the size of your avatar you can reshrink it using whatever freeware tool you have, or you can send it to me if you have no idea what you're doing :D.

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i play my 12 string constantly.

differences are of course, 6 more strings, a slightly wider neck to accomadate them, and you'll need a little more muscle to push down 2 strings at once.

as for recommendations, thats a personal decision. i have a 70's Takamine 12 string. it's a dread body style and my only gripe is that it could use a little more volume, perhaps a jumbo would be better match.

just play as many as you can and see which one is the best for you.

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

Do you have to be stronger to play a 12? Sometimes not.

My reasoning is that many 12's use a light(er) gauge strings as many manufacturers recommend using lighter strings due to the greater tension. A 12 string puts a LOT of extra stress on the bridge area.

That being said…the lighter gauge strings are usually lighter than what we are used to playing so it doesn't feel quite so bad on the fingers.

In addition, you can tune down the guitar a half or whole step even with the light strings. Some people use the heavier mediums and tune down to C#. The tuning down is also easier on the fingers.

I play a Fender F-55-12 and a Martin D12-1, and they are easier on my fingers than my 6 string Epiphone.

Dennis

ReplyQuote