Clear all

12 strings - are they all pigs?

14 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@adocaster)
Topic starter  

where pig = "guitar of awful action".

i like the sound, i like it lots. my friend has one and he doesnt have it set up, and its virtually unplayable in my eyes (ears). the intonation is nasty and having two strings to put down makes for lots of bum notes because they would rather have your finger fall between them than be fretted.

is this the way with all twelvers or is this one just a lemon? can they be sorted to play as easily as a 6? i'd like to imagine so prior to getting one of my own.

thoughts?

Adam.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm no expert, but I'd say your friend seems to have a difficult 12 string. I've only played around with a friend's, but it wasn't at all as you describe it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I bought one back in March, sounded OK in the shop....got it home, messed around with the action, tuned it down to DGCFAD...thouht I'd use a capo on 2nd fret...had to buy another capo, my shubb wasn't wide enough...so I bought a Dunlop trigger....but it sounded horrible...

I've not touched it for a while, but next time I go to town, taking it with me...see if a guitar tech can set it up for me....

I'm seriously hoping this one isn't a lemon...but if it is, ah well, I've got plenty more toys to play with....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have an old Eko Ranger 12-string which I bought in 1978, laminate top; just come back from having new machine heads fitted. Sounds seriously awesome and playing it's a dream.

Go for light strings - mine has come back with a light set of Martins fitted. You can buy sets of strings specially for 12-string guitars

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Each one is different, even different models from the same manufacturer. This is true for all guitars, I'd guess, but it seems to become very apparent with 12 strings because the increased string tension underscores how well or how poorly a guitar is set up.

I was very impressed by the action on a particular Takamine that I tried, but it was out of my price range. Also I recently saw a used Larrivee 12er at GC for $299 which had low action and seemed very playable - so tempting! So you just have to get out and play several until you find one that's right for you.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

I agree, I owned 2 Yamaha 12-strings. Action was nice and light strings is the way to go. The strings should be close enough together that by placing your finger on one string you automatically get the second and almost no bum notes.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

No, not all 12 strings are that way. Fender and Yamaha make really great 12 strings. I purchased mine back in the early 80's, both sound and play fine. Their starting to show slight neck issue's but nothing I'm going to fret over.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

My wife got me a takamine Jasmine model 12 string for our anniversary. Action is great on it and no intonation problems

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

They are not all pigs. Some are as easy to fret as a medium strung 6 stringer. But because of the extra stress, there can be a lot of playability variation even between 12 stringers of the same model -- Tops belly, necks relieve and bridges sometimes lift. Not all of these problems are correctable by a set-up job. Because of this, I would never consider mail ordering an acoustic 12, as these are poster children for the "play before you buy" campaign.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I have been playing and old Fender 12 st. for 4 months now. From my experience, light strings can make a BIG difference. I just don't use light, I use Daddario X-Light EJ41. These are the lightest strings I know of. They are a heck of lot easier on the fingertips.

Now....the action. If it is high, you might find placing a capo on the second fret will lower the action a bit. If it is a old guitar, chances are it might have the heavier strings. With the heavier strings, the action at the nut is probably set a little higher, causing it to be harder to play for a beginner, or someone new to 12 strings. Again, I've found my action is lower with the capo. I have also tuned the strings down one whole step. I can still use my electronic tuner, tuning with the capo on the second fret.

Ok....anyone seeing anything wrong with all this....post it. I'm just learning, too.

BTW....I'm on my SECOND 12 string capo. Getting it this week. I will post about this when I get it.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

12-strings are just more difficult instruments to set up, tune and maintain than 6-stings.

As was said above, if you get them setup right, you'll find it as easy to play as a good 6-string with medium weight strings. But the key is getting it set up right.

Unless you really know what you're doing, a 12-string is worth the $50 you'll pay a luthier to set it up right.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I, being a Canadian guitar freak, love Laviree's... In fac, the best twelve string I've even played was a Laviree for about 700 or so, and then it was a really sweet all mahogany Martin that sounded, and played, killer, for 800 bucks... I think one (Or maybe both) was on clearance though... I have a Seagull (Another Canadian guitar) that I abosolutly love, and besides twelve string acoustics, the only other acoustic I actually want is a 6 string version of the all mahaogany Martin... those sound sweet for blues too! :)

So, back on topic... To sum it up, no, I don't think all twelve strings are bad, because if they were, they wouldn't be around, nobody would buy them. But I do think you might have to pay a little extra, or get a good setup and intonation, in order for it to sound, and play (almost) as well as a 6 string. It will for the most part, always be harder to play IMO, because they're are two string to push down, not one, making more tension on the strings...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have a Ibanez 12 string and use extra light strings, had it for over 2 years now and I realy like it just has a nice fuller harmonic sound alot of players use them, I also have a g-1275 doubleneck electric, Jimmy page clone made by epiphone this also sounds great, I have never had problems playing either of them and if they got lost or stolen I would replace them.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i have a 70's Takamine dreadnaught 12 string that is set up with 9's. it has very low action, great intonation and sounds great. the light strings make all the difference. so not all 12er's are pigs. if they were, no one would play them lol

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote