Clear all

2009 Guitar Goals: How Did You Do?

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Normally I put out a "What ate you working on now?" type of thread. Given that we've only got 4 more days of this year remaining, I decided to throw in a twist. Almost everyone made some sort of goal, even it it wasn't officially documentedI had quite a few of them. Some I met, some I didn't.

So, how were your guitar goals (or any other musical device) for 2009, and how did you do? I'll get us started. This is my lust as I recall, or at least what vecame my list of things to work on. The outcome in red.

#1: Learn some more styles of playing besides the full chord strum. (Getting there. Lots to learn and really didn't dive into it much at first.)

#2: Get proficient at Barre Chords ebough to play a whole song with out a lot og pain. (Dire Straits' - Sultans Of Swing) come to mind. (Not there yet. Maybe a 50% improvement? I got set way back when a sleep deprivation issue hit a pressure point in my left thumb)

#3: Learn to play some lead guitar well enough to do a solo part if asked to during a jam. (I got a tone of good advice from Wes Inman to this end. I could not fully comprehend what he was saying for the longest time, but it sort of clicked on day and I made a big step forward. Prtoblem is, is that it didn't click until August. I've been working on it since.)

#4: Become more proficient at partial chords strikes. In particular, this means being about to go in and out of them without delay or, perhaps better put, in proper time. (This went pretty well. Still some work to go, especially with regards to speed, but not too bad right now.)

#5: Learn top play to a backing track. (This too, came to me later in the summer. I can do this now, but lack speed to really call myself good at this. Something else that will improve over time.)

#6: Learn a bit of Jazz. (Mostly the great Jazz voicings. David Hodge sent me a chord sheet that started me on my way. "The Girl From Ipanema". The one really opened my eyes up to a wider array of chords. I can't play that whole song yet, but I probably could given a few days' deadline.

#7: Develop a singing voice that is at least tollerable. (Work In Progress! I still have a long way to go. dogbite has helped me out some with this. Maybe this time next year?)

#8 Learn the fret board. (This became apparrent after I started doing some lead/solo stuff. I know the high and low E strings up and down the board, but little else.)

#9: Learn to play some riff-rock style of guitar playing. (ala Keith Richards) (This one I've just jumped in to. I'm doing a super-top secret colab weith someone. That song is laden with riff-tock (and Blues))

#10: Learn some harder rocking tunes and techniques. (Most classic Rock. I've done a bit. The more I do, the more I find out I need to learn. cnev was right. Power chords are pretty easy once you get the touch. I've done a couple of things, but mostly still in the learn-the-tools mode.

#11: Argepggios. Kind of like R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts", Animals' House Of The Rising Son" and Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" (This is new for me over the past couple of months. What little I've learned has actually found it's way into a couple of other songs I've known for a while, like the Stones' "Angie" and a few Garth Brooks songs from No Fences.)

#12: Finger Style. (Only one song so far. "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac)

#13: Make my strumming more palatable to the ear. (Means just to continue to improve what I do know already.)

There were quite a lot of things. Even with all the time I had, I still could not tackle each one of these on with full force. I added recording to the mix of things to learn and have spent a fair amount of time doing that. I did not master any one thing, but have come a good way this year.

So, how about You'all? Did you meet some of your goals last year, or come close?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

These were my goals:

1) Start a band Nope. I started the year off straight out of college, hoping that I could find a job. I still haven't found any work so that has been my top priority.
2) Be able to improvise over blues and rock progressions starting in E, then working on every other key I can improvise decently, even over trickier keys but usaully in only a couple positions
3) Develop a repertoire of around 20 songs or so (both in the rock/blues/pop genre and about the same amount of repertoire in my classical playing) I'm not sure why I didn't work on learning more songs, I think I was definitely more pre-occupied with worrying about technique
4) Improve my technique A little, unfortunately I went through continued periods of practicing technique for a couple days, getting annoyed and taking about a week off from playing altogether and then trying again
5) Write songs of my own I haven't written any full songs yet, but I have a big collection of riffs and ideas that I'm sure could be the basis of some sort of music

rparker, like you I didn't exactly master everything that was on my list. Even so, looking back I realise that I did learn a few things about myself: for example, I really tried to create some sort of "perfect" daily guitar schedule that included all my goals (like technique, ear training, improvisation, learning songs, etc.). What I found out is that even when I was able to come up with something, I was never able to stick with it. So I think I'm going to go back to basics and just focus on quality practice, rather than quantity.

Motivation is a big issue for me: for me, sticking to a daily guitar schedule like the ones I made were completely destroying my motivation to play. What I found seems to help is take some time off, listen to some music for inspiration and see how I feel. I don't think guitar schedules are necessarily bad, especially if you have teacher to help you out. But until I find a right teacher I think I'll just forget about it and just play and have fun.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

My only goal with having my guitar for 4 years now and not learning anything past open chord fingerings was to learn how to play..... something.

I learned how to play this.... Shine on You Crazy Diamond Acoustic (video is Gilmour playing, not a video of me if you thought that and clicked....)

I can play it up through the verse because barre chords are dang tough on the thumb pain. I can play the barres, I just nearly die doing it. The intro is a snap and dang fun to play.

That said, wifey bought me this for Christmas..... My new Cort guitar and little practice amp

All I can say with barre chords now is... WOW! Other than learning to hit the fingerings just like I had to with open chords, barre chords are a cinch now. I barely have to press with my index as opposed to practically having to hold my acoustic like a vice to play a barre.

I was thrilled to actually play something completely through (other than passing out from the sheer pain in the thumb trying to barre with my acoustic) but in actuality, I was never interested in an acoustic. Now if I wasn't coughing and hacking so bad, I would be really enjoying my new electric learning what I want to learn. Tough to do anything now when after playing three notes I have to stop to hack up a lung.

For 2010 I am ordering "Blues You Can Use" and will learn to actually play a bit of guitar rather than only learning how to play an individual song that I might be interested in.

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

1. Learning how to improvise a solo over a chord progression. This one is very open ended. Yes I can come up with an OK sounding solo with a pentonic or major scale but I am far from being proficient. My solos are a little "halting" if you understand what I mean?

2. Get a group of musicians together for regular jam sessions. This one started off good but fizzled halfway through the year.

3. Take lessons. Yes, although only for 6 months. I plan on picking them up again this year.

4. Come up with a list of goals for 2010. Looks like I will be starting that one today. :lol:

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I can't say I had goals in 2009 because I didn't know enough to set any. I'm sorry to say I didn't know I should have any. I think that was primarily because I had no direction from either of my teachers and lessons. I can really only paraphrase mrodgers: "My only goal with having my guitar for 4 years now (2 in my case) and not learning anything past open chord fingerings was to learn how to play..... something."

I have learned to play some songs: those I wanted to, and those I didn't expect to. I also got into bass without expecting to do so this quickly. I've also gotten into studying basic scales and chords theory, unlooked for.

If I can semi-hijack this thread, I'll state my 2010 goals:

1. Become proficient in that dang apreggio in House of the Rising Sun. If ever there was a bane on man, that is it for me.

2. Become proficient in scales and chord triads so that I can know them cold, without having to count on my fingers and go into a trance to visualize them.

3. Make all chord changes smoother; if that means slowing down and beginning almost from scratch, so be it.

4. Becoming proficient in bass playing, my new love.

5. Pentatonic scales, even if it's just the first box, to be able to play and improvise some bass and guitar riffs off the top of my head. That will go hand-in-hand with chord/triad and scales proficiency. I think this will also help in playing songs chord/melody.

6. And finally the most ambitious... finding some guys to jam with and share learning with. If this doesn't happen, it's understandable.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 WJL
(@wjl)

I've only set yearly goals once, two years ago. I do mostly shorter term goals, and I'm always trying to improve, which I have a lot this past year.

One thing I noticed(from recording myself on camera) was that when I played some fingerstyle and classical stuff that I knew it didn't really sound so smooth, and because I started recording myself I was able to hear myself and my mistakes on the camera(and now just by my ear) and I can play things the way they're supposed to sound now lol

I know a lot about playing lead guitar but I'm pretty lousy when it comes to chords and stuff, so for the last few months I've been working on that and music theory, it's going alright-theory is a bit slow moving(don't know who's fault that is... :lol: ) the chords are coming along though

I've also learned a lot about effects and amps and pickups and getting different tones and sounds, I am now a tone junky lol

I am going to set goals for 2010, however, unlike 2009

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I admire you guys and your concrete goals to aim for. I'll have to set a couple for myself for next year.

Going into 2009, I was looking for progress on the same couple of fronts as the previous year:

Playing more dynamically, expressively and with more confidence. Improving alternate picking, double stops, jumping strings, arpeggiating, etc.
This will be a goal every year, but I'm pleased with the progress I made. I can jump into a passage with more musicality than before. Technical elements that used to bring the song to a screeching halt are slowly getting better. I guess spending the better part of the summer trying to play 'Free Ride' payed dividends. :lol:

Expanding my knowledge of what I was doing and why it did or didn't work (AKA theory).
A never ending process. One I'd like to devote more time to. But it's also always on the front burner. I constantly stop and try to figure out what makes something interesting or unique. And I read every post about music theory on GN. Special thanks to Noteboat and David for their insights. Amazing breadth of knowledge and clear, concise explanations.

Singing and singing and playing at the same time.
Not an inch of progress. 2010 for sure!

Joining the GN Collabo Crew.
I finally got over the hump and did two (apologies DanT for the one I didn't manage to complete). This was probably the most constructive aspect of the whole year. It brought everything together: recording, playing, refining...and a whole lot of fun.

The best to every GNer in 2010!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

I learned about 55 Songs start to finish.
I have definitely improved in soloing.
I'm more consistent and definitely not nervous playing in front of audiences now.
I can sing and play as long as neither the singing or playing is too complicated
I can improv much better now - rhythm or lead
Started a cover band and am seeing it through. Playing live is a blast

For having played not quite 2 years, I can't complain.

New Goals:
-Learn fretboard better - this would probably be helped if wasn't busy learning 55 new songs.
-improve soloing more. Specifically blues and metal - Blues you can use books 1 & 2, Troy Stetina Lead Metal Guitar
-pick up acoustic guitar more often and improve on strumming
-play cleaner
-play in praise band at church

I guess I can complain. The more I play, the more things I see wrong with my playing

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Crikey, that's a good one.

I wanted to get out and play more - that one I achieved because I got made redundant from my job and went playing down the pub in the village. Not quite how I planned on achieving that one but it worked.

I wanted to build up my teaching - well, I got that one too because whilst I was out of work I sent off an application on spec to the local education authority and got the job. Again, it wasn't quite how I envisaged getting there but it pays so who cares.

And I wanted to be a better guitarist - that's a difficult one to measure but I think I'm playing better than I was a year ago. Difficult to tell really, but I notice my audience figures for solo performances are lower than those for some of my gigs with the (slightly more anarchic) Essex Guitar Orchestra but higher than those for gigs with the ever so serious Cambridge Guitar Orchestra; so something's working.

I did have vague notions of doing my DipLCM Performance Diploma in Classical Guitar - ah, well, maybe in 2010.

For definite in 2010, I've just passed the audition to go teach in Cambridgeshire; trying to fill up the bits of the week I haven't got schools in Essex. I've also secured some Saturday morning Music School work starting in January, have three confirmed gigs at Residential Care Homes locally, and a confirmed Wedding gig. The Cambridge Guitar Orchestra are looking to record their third album and I have the recording dates so I'll be part of that, and I've just taken on a new student who has a fully working studio attached to his house so I might even get some work done on that long overdue album myself.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I accomplished a strange kind of goal...I didn't buy another guitar this year.
good for the pocket book, but sure is depressing.
happy new year all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'm moving soon, internationally. So one worse than not buying a guitar...I've been giving mine away. :-(

Happy new year to all, though! When I get to our next destination, my wife has promised me the toy of my choice. (Which really means, she will get me ONE toy. And I will have to get at least a few more on my own...)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When 2009 I was really pretty ticked off at guitar, or more so I was ticked off at not being in a band and playing with people.

Somewhere along the way, the heavens shook and light shined down on my dreary life (well it wasnt QUITE that dramatic) and I was given the opportunity of my 40 year old dreams.

One day away from the end of the year.. I have been practicing regularly and learning new songs.. and showing up for practice WITH PEOPLE..

I would say my goals are going pretty well right now.. that was my only two

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't know if I have any real guitar goals heading into this new year other than get better. I overloaded myself this past year learning some of the basics of a lot of things covering a lot of styles and methods. I'll probably just keep on playing and trying to get better. I'm sure a new technique or two will pop their heads up and demand attention. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

#1: Learn some more styles of playing besides the full chord strum. I'm ok

#2: Get proficient at Barre Chords enough to play a whole song with out a lot of pain. (Dire Straits' - Sultans Of Swing) come to mind. (Not there yet. Maybe a 50% improvement?

#3: Learn to play some lead guitar well enough to do a solo part if asked to during a jam. Basic leads i'm ok with- not flashy ones :D

#4: Become more proficient at partial chords strikes. In particular, this means being about to go in and out of them without delay or, perhaps better put, in proper time. some work to go
#5: Learn top play to a backing track. my favorite pass time?is that how you spell it?

#6: Learn a bit of Jazz. Ihave not-I know i should but i'm just not a Jazz fan

#7: Develop a singing voice that is at least tollerable. no one wants to hear this i have attempted and its just bad :(
#8 Learn the fret board. 85%
#9: Learn to play some riff-rock style of guitar playing. (ala Keith Richards) Love it!!

#10: Learn some harder rocking tunes and techniques. most of the songs i know are hard rock

#11: Argepggios. Kind of like R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts", Animals' House Of The Rising Son" and Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage" Been playing House of the rising sun a lot for practice
#12: Finger Style. this is what i am concentrating on right now
#13: Make my strumming more palatable to the ear. (Means just to continue to improve what I do know already.)trying to improve

So, how about You'all? Did you meet some of your goals last year, or come close?
maybe 60% :)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Learn to play the songs before introducing them into the Worship set. Everyone was wanting to include some more recent music to our sets. Problem was no one could play them. I determined that I would only bring them in after I could comfortably play and sing them. That took quite a bit of work since I still consider myself a beginning guitarist. After about 18 months in this position and about 12 playing guitar in the service we have added 12-13 new songs to the 90 or so that we already had. I still can't play all of the older ones but the piano player knew most of those.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2