2nd and 3rd finger problem :(

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mimifox)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey there :D

I've started doing some exercises from a technique book I bought and my left hand's just been driving me mad :| *explodes*

Basically the problem is that when i play in a lower position, closer to the nut, my 2nd (swearing) and 3rd fingers dont seem to want to seperate and most of the reach in my left hand is between my index finger and my pinky - the 2nd and 3rd fingers sort of curve towards eachother and end up very close together. My thumb sits pretty low on the back of the neck when I'm playing lower down like this.

Are there any exercise you guys know of which would help? Or am I doing somthing wrong.. as usual :P?

Mimi

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

any exercise that teaches finger independence will help. i don't know of any specific ones right now, but try playing the chomatic scale up and down the fretboard. (the chromatic scale is playing each fret n each string.) you learn to separate the fingers playing this. closer to the nut the frets are wider apart which is why you're having that problem down there.

playing around with hammer-ons will help also.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is a exercise I learned years ago. It is very difficult, and honestly I've never spent a lot of time on it. But it is designed to develop your stretch.

You start off with a Major 7th chord shape and play it one note at a time in arpeggio style. Each time you move one finger only one fret down.

e-10i---------------10--9-------------
b-11m-----------11---------11---------
g-12r-------12-----------------12-----
d—13p---13-------------------------13-
a-------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------

e-------------9--9--------------
b---------10--------10----------
g-----12-----------------11-----
d—13-------------------------13-
a-------------------------------
e-------------------------------

e-------------9--8--------------
b---------10--------10----------
g-----11-----------------11-----
d—12-------------------------12-
a-------------------------------
e-------------------------------

You just continue this pattern until you get down to the 1st fret (good luck!), then work your way back up the neck one fret at a time.

I suppose if you practiced this everyday you would gain incredible stretch and finger independence, but this is one KILLER exercise.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Basically the problem is that when i play in a lower position, closer to the nut, my 2nd (swearing) and 3rd fingers dont seem to want to seperate and most of the reach in my left hand is between my index finger and my pinky - the 2nd and 3rd fingers sort of curve towards eachother and end up very close together. My thumb sits pretty low on the back of the neck when I'm playing lower down like this.Are there any exercise you guys know of which would help? Or am I doing somthing wrong.. as usual :P?

Tom,
I have (had?) the same problem. It's seemed to improve over the past 6 months. I can really see it when I play the "D" chord (when I don't BARRE it). Jamie Andreas addresses this issue in his book.

There was an exercise, I can't find it right now? I'll will try to find that.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@mimifox)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that :)

Mimi

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that :)

Tom, don't wait on me, I've found Wes's suggestions and posts very helpful! Try his way first.

Anyway, I couldn't find that exercise but I know I saw it in the forums on this website:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

The solution to your problem involves two components; coordination and relaxation. Exercises such as the one Wes posted are terrific for coordination, but relaxing the hand can be a tad more tricky (you can't force yourself to relax!). One good method is to do your coordination exercises without exerting any pressure on the string. You simply touch the string where you normally would hold it down. When you get better at this, try holding the string down just enough to make it buzz (a lot more difficult than it sounds). This will also give you an appreciation for how truly little effort it takes to produce a clean note.

Hope that helps a little.

Thomas

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote