Clear all

2nd Set let down?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pawlorj)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I've been playing with the band at my church, and lately I've been experiencing a problem playing during the 2nd set. During the first set, my adrenaline is up and I'm really into the music and the set goes great. We then take a 1/2 hour break and play our 2nd set. During the 2nd set, I still feel some adrenaline and nervousness, but not nearly as much as the first set. My focus isn't there and I seem to fumble over the easiest pieces . I just don't feel as crisp. To compound the problem, our 2nd set is usually slower and more mellow and our 1st set is very upbeat. I was thinking about drinking coffee between sets to keep myself "up", but I don't want to get too jittery and nervous either. Has anyone else experienced a let down after a break between sets?

Thanks,

Bob

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Not to mention too much coffee might force you to make an un-scheduled exit from the stage at an inconvenient time... :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

adrenaline shunts blood away from extremities and into major muscle groups for the fight-or-flight response, and takes its toll on the brain, so even though you can make it through your first set, the muscles in your hands won't recover as fast and you'll have more trouble focusing.
also, playing two sets is just tough, regardless of nerves, if you're not used to it. imagine running two road races in one day. even if you make it through the first one, the second one's going to be very tough. the muscles in your hands and wrist are small ones, and people generally don't live lives that make them into high-endurance muscles.
if you have ways of relaxing or taking your mind off things before you play, you should use those. also, it never hurts to practice both sets fully at home until you can get through both fairly comfortably. besides helping your endurance and comfort with the material, it will take the pressure off so you're not bearing down all the time up there, leaving you more energy for the second set, and it also gives you a reason to practice more.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

could it also be a metal issue?

when we play i am always the same before the first set, very eager to go and full of adrenaline, but if for some reason the pub is quiet, and very few people are interested in dancing etc, i find it difficult to gear up for the second set - almost as if i would rather go home.

However, If the place is busy and the response is good, then i cant wait for the second set, and all the adrenaline kicks back in before we are due back on.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

To compound the problem, our 2nd set is usually slower and more mellow and our 1st set is very upbeat.

Hi Bob,

I wonder if it would make a difference if the mood of the sets were the other way around? It's often said that it's harder to play well slowly than in a more up-tempo style. So, as you say, that would be compounding the problem a bit. Maybe if your first set was a more 'low adrenaline' style then it might make it less tough to build up some fizz towards the end, especially if there's something in the 2nd set that you all enjoy playing or know works well in an upbeat way? Just a thought... no particular experience to back it up.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@barbque-bob)

The only time I really got bummed was when we played in Alaska for three weeks without a day off eight hours a day. That gig old real fast! Two sets? A breeze!

Bob <><

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

Could it be that your blood sugar is dropping and you just need a bite to eat? Sometimes I get that when I'm working and I'll notice my focus start to break. Some food fixes that.

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote