Clear all

3/4 Size Guitars

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of them are. A local music store is selling some for cheap and I thought I'd pick one up. Figure it would be good for travelling and whatnot. The thing that kinda threw me off was that it said "Kids Size" on it. As of yet I haven't bought one, but I'm still concidering it. Any thoughts?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I recommend 3/4 size guitars for my young students - it's easier to hold, has a shorter scale length (so it's easier to fret strings), and is capable of holding standard tuning.

My first guitar was a 'standard' size guitar, right between 3/4 size and auditorium. They're hard to find (mine was a 60s era Harmony), but that might be another option if you can find one.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I already have a full-size acoustic, but was concidering buying a 3/4 for the portability.

ReplyQuote
 Hex
(@hex)

I bought a 3/4 classical guitar for my daughter a year ago and I play it myself from time to time. I also have a "normal" size classical and if I compare the two, I would say that both can be comfortably played by adults. In addition to the shorter scale, the 3/4 will have a lower volume overall. Personally, I would prefer to travel with a full size guitar but if portability is what you're looking for, a 3/4 might be a good idea.

Just my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote
(@mp173)
Eminent Member

I purchased my son a Carlo Rubelli about a year ago. It is probably 3/4 size and it was $100.

He played it for 10 minutes and then it became mine! I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. In a lot of ways, it is much easier to play than my Washburn accoustic. The sound quality is pretty good also.

The portability of it is great. I can just about take it anywhere.

ed

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You might also look into parlor guitars or...what's that other one? Auditorium size.

I tried a Baby Taylor once and really loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

A couple of months ago, I bought a used Jackson JS-050-¾ "Mini Strat" without knowing what it really was. (I was just looking for a reasonably-priced quitar with a cutaway body.) I really like it.

Those got good reviews on Harmony Central, and there was at least one reviewer who said he got it for his son, but plays it a lot himself.

Like a lot of Strat-types today, it wants some shielding. It could be fun to mod the little bomber. I have somewhat small hands, and I find it pretty comfortable, a nice change from my Yamaha 12-string acoustic.

YMMV.

--
Doug C.

ReplyQuote