Clear all

$3000 Acoustic or Not???

41 Posts
20 Users
0 Reactions
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Lately I've been wrestling with the idea of getting another acoustic. Not sure why - just a case of GAS I guess... I love guitars, love they way they look, kind of like art around the house... I currently have a $200 Yamaha, which I love very much - play it every day. I bought the guitar when I started lessons about 9 mounts ago. I was not sure I would stick with the lessons, but I have and I'm hooked.

The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum just met this past Saturday about 10 minutes from my house (in my friends film studio) and it was quite a site to see and play all those Martins... (they had the Ritchie Sambora #2 there among others) The D-45 Marquis that I liked was $13,000... Here is a link to the madness: http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm16.showMessageRange?topicID=989.topic&start=1&stop=20

I've been looking at Martin's and Taylor's and am ready to spend some money, but every time I decide I should put my order in, I keep coming back to the 200 Yamaha I have and wonder why I can't just live with this one guitar...

Can someone help me? What benefit will I get out of a $3000 guitar that I will not get out of a $200 one? Said another way, I could buy 15 Yamahas for 1 Martin - why?

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If I gave you advice everyone would laugh at me.

Here it is anyway. If you love the guitar and you can afford it, go for it.

You can't quantify the difference in guitars once you get past the $1200 level. They all have fine wood, decoration, construction, parts, cases, warranty, etc.

But there is something about the very high end guitar that you can't put into words.

I love 'em and I am unashamed to say so. My Collings OM1A, Breedlove Northwest, Fylde Orsino, Grammer G-30, Gibson J200 and Taylor 712ce are a religious experience every time I pick them up.

Maybe it sounds corny, but the extra money you spend gets you a guitar with a soul.

I still enjoy playing my Washburn and Ovation, they are just different.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Maybe it sounds corny, but the extra money you spend gets you a guitar with a soul.
I tend to think of it as playing a guitar with character. One who has established itself among the masses.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

What would David do? :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member

Set fire to it Hendrix style. :lol:

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i second Nick. If you can easily afford a $3000 Martin, and you like the guitar alot, then there is no reason not to get it. and if you have any extra $$ layin' around, you can buy me one too hehehe.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

What benefit will I get out of a $3000 guitar that I will not get out of a $200 one

I would buy it. I will give you more confidence, you will take better care of it, it will sound better, it will feel better, and you will love it more. What else is there?

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Spit up his bran flakes laughing hysterically when he reads a line like that! :wink:

If I had $3000 to spend on a guitar, I would be thinking two things (okay, three - but hopefully I'd know which bank I'd just robbed...): First, that's actually a lot of guitar - should I make it "guitars?" And second, what do I truly want and why?

Nick is right in that, after you reach a certain price range, it's hard for most folks to tell the difference between guitars. A good test is to go to a music shop and get a selection of guitars that FEEL good to you and also sound good. Don't even look at the price. Then have a friend of yours (or someone at the shop) play each guitar while you either keep your eyes closed or simply don't face the player. Be sure the person plays the same song each time. You'd be surprised how many people end up with a midrange guitar based solely on sound.

And, even if you spend half to two thirds of your budget, that leaves you with money for other things. Like buying U2Bono269 a new guitar... :wink:

Now back to my bran flakes...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Before you take Nick's advice on buying that $3000 guitar, go to the the Beginners Q & A forum and read Nick's advice on the thread "Should I buy a second guitar?" Then decide if you want to buy one $3000 guitar or buy 15 other guitars like Nick suggests there :lol: ! Unless you can afford 15 $3000 guitars, then just do it!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I don't think you'll regret buying it. I'd definately keep it to $1500 myself, like everyone says get 2!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sorry about the bran flakes :oops:

i have to agree with what Nick said also. it's true to my experiance as well as far as having a friend play the guitars while looking away and just listening.
i ended up picking a nice mid range guitar over several that cost hundreds more based on how i liked the sound.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@chefie)
Prominent Member

There's something to that old adage that if you know how to play well, you can pick up an old ratty guitar and make great music. And if you don't know how to play well, a $10,000 guitar ain't gonna help. But for what it is worth, I started out with a $350 Martin and as a beginner, I couldn't make any sounds that I liked. I started fooling around with other guitars at Guitar Center and fell in love with a Taylor 314. With trade in and a little barganing I got it for a $1000, and I've never regretted it. The difference is amazing to me and has prompted me to practice more and work much harder because the sounds are so much more improved by the Taylor. I do agree with the others in that once you reach a certain price range the reasons for what you buy change. I've played a lot of much more expensive guitars and I still like my Taylor 314.

Good Luck!

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I'm a firm believer that the guitar you play should reflect your ability to play it. In other words, I won't be spending $3000 on a guitar until I have top billing and a packed auditorium to entertain; and if a newbie friend asks to borrow a guitar to learn on I will give him my cheapest and nastiest one until he proves he deserves better.

Moving up through the ranks of the guitars as you improve also adds some perspective to your musical journey. You could reward yourself with better guitars/gear over the years for achieving your playing goals. If you jump straight to the $3000 price range after barely beginning to play, you miss out on these experiences. Also you will find yourself looking down upon 90% of the guitars you ever come across, whereas a $200 guitar player like me has plenty to look up to and covet (coveting is a key part of the guitar experience for me).

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm a firm believer that the guitar you play should reflect your ability to play it. In other words, I won't be spending $3000 on a guitar until I have top billing and a packed auditorium to entertain;

You're not being very fair to yourself. Sound and comfort come at a price, if you want it.... it's there but, holding yourself back because you don't feel worthy is just plain silly. I'm not saying everyone who picks up guitar should shell that kind of money out in the beginning because not everyone sticks with it.

When you know you are going to take the life long journey then by all means get what is going to make you happy and want to play every day. Life is funny sometimes, if you have the money one day and can afford it, get it because you never know when you will have the money again and don't always take things for granted thinking you or anything will be around forever. Life is too short, so get out there and get what you want (granted you can afford it) and make the most out of life.

I'll go now.........

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'm a firm believer that the guitar you play should reflect your ability to play it. In other words, I won't be spending $3000 on a guitar until I have top billing and a packed auditorium to entertain;

You're not being very fair to yourself. Sound and comfort come at a price, if you want it.... it's there but, holding yourself back because you don't feel worthy is just plain silly. I'm not saying everyone who picks up guitar should shell that kind of money out in the beginning because not everyone sticks with it.

When you know you are going to take the life long journey then by all means get what is going to make you happy and want to play every day. Life is funny sometimes, if you have the money one day and can afford it, get it because you never know when you will have the money again and don't always take things for granted thinking you or anything will be around forever. Life is too short, so get out there and get what you want (granted you can afford it) and make the most out of life.

I'll go now.........

Mike

i totally agree, the "i'm not worthy" argument is silly. get the best possible guitar you can afford the moment you have decided you are serious about learning. even if you aren't serious, get what you want based on how it makes you feel. that's all that is really important. it will play easier and sound better than a $200 dollar beater and it will inspire you to improve. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3