Notifications
Clear all

$3000 Acoustic or Not???

41 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You all have inspired me. You are right, I am so worth it. If I hadn't given it up for lent I'd be out buying a new guitar right now. :cry:

I'll have to go and play my latest pre-lent addition.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

$3,000? :shock: That's worth more than my car. Worth about every guitar-related items I own. If you have lots of extra money, sure. Yet I don't think you should spend more than half of that for one guitar. That's just me.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for everyones perspective - I went to Guitar Center today over my lunch break and drolled, but my checkbook remained in my pocket - I'm going to do a little more research...

Corbind,
$3,000? That's worth more than my car.

Just think what you could drive for the price of this Martin:
http://www.fqms.com/Martin%20D100%20Deluxe_W144.cfm

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

PS - the Martin Guitar factory is about 2 hours from my house and the place where I take lessons (official Martin dealer) is organizing a bus trip there to tour the factory... If I can hold out long enough (and decide against a Taylor), it would be a memorable experience to hand pick my guitar directly from it's birth place... :o :o

http://www.martinguitar.com/visit/

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is a Martin on ebay that went for $225,000 last week.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

If I could afford it I would buy every guitar I wanted, regardless of price. It could be 5 or 10 or it could be 20, I wouldn't have to justify it to anyone but myself.

I agree partly on working your way up to real quality as I feel the more you spend, the more you wind up with a work of art. Guitars are that to me, art.

I wouldn't have bought an expensive guitar for my first couple/few years ago because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them or be able to appreciate the better guitars with no playing ability. My present ability does not warrant buying my last guitar but I will grow into it. A nice guitar just begs to be played, definitely not something to just leave hanging on the wall to look at it. You know you have a nice guitar and one that fits you perfectly when all the others you have (and like) are collecting dust because this one guitar....you just don't want to put it down.

If we went by pure ability to justify buying a nice guitar, I wouldn't be able to justify the purchase of my Fender Deluxe Strat last month. I could pick that guitar out of a dozen blindfolded, I love it and you really do get what you pay for. It is perfection in every way, a lot of care went into its manufacture and was not thrown down an assembly line.

If you can afford a nice guitar and can appreciate the feel and the sound and can look at it and see it for the work of art it really is, I say go for it.

When we buy houses, cars, motorcycles...we buy the most house, car and bike we can afford. Guitar is no different to me. I want the best I can afford.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I cannot believe that 100,000 MSRP and then to have Nick let us know someone bought a guitar for the price of a house. Absolutely insane.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

When you find one that is beautiful, loves to be in your arms, and makes sweet music with you ...

I recommend playing many different guitars, until you find one that you think is really special.

Unfortunately, you can pay more for a name, especially these days with signature series guitars,
Some guitars are higher priced because a famous player used them.
Older Martins are highly valuable because of the Brazilian rosewood, in addition to being antiques.
It can be very confusing at higher prices.

Some guitars simply play and sound better than others, particularly when they age.
Some guitars can be quite loud ... some think too loud for practice.

Don't forget to check around to see if there is a luthier nearby.
And check the Harmony Central reviews to see what other people say.

Personally, I like to play my guitars (instead of collect them as investments).

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Did'nt Nick also say something about not buying a $3000 guitar if you have $300 fingers?

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Did'nt Nick also say something about not buying a $3000 guitar if you have $300 fingers?

Probably...since we all know what a filthy flip-flopper Nick is. :o

I'd say if you have the cash, go for it. At the very least you'll have something that you end up saying is too much and you can sell it back with the strong resale value of martins. Obviously, you need to keep that baby humidified and what not if you do get it (if you don't already have a humidifer/hygrometer set up.)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

A filthy flipp-flopper, ooooh, your in trouble now.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes I did say that.

After much practice I now have $304 fingers, so I'm okay.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Said another way, I could buy 15 Yamahas for 1 Martin - why?

imho it is because even if you could play all of the 15 yamahas at once it is doubtfull that they will sound as good as the martin.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sound as good, or feel as good, or look as good or inspire you to play as much.

But that's just me. That's the reason they make guitars in all different price ranges. Not everyone aspires to buy a $3000 guitar. Some people are reasonable and well balanced mentally and pick one that is within their means.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to play a classical guitar in the EUR3-5000 range. Apart from the fact that the guitar was a dream to play, it was a piece of art, in it's own right. Everything about it was beautiful, the woods, the trim, the finish. It is something that I would be proud to own, but, then again, not something so expensive that I wouldn't dare to play it - and that, to me, is the crux. If you're scared of playing it, because it is so valuable, it's a waste.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3