6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone explain this concept to me?

I have only ever seen one person playing a 7 string guitar and that's Matt Bellamy during the song Citizen Erased. Why have a 7th string? and how would it be tuned :roll:

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I lot of the modern bands use them to get a heavier sound. I'm not sure what that string would be tuned to since most of the bands that use them tune their guitars down anyway.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think the "extra" string on a 7-string is generally a B string, tuned five semitones below the low E string. Guessing the reason for it is so you don't have to tune down to drop D or even drop C tuning for a really low tone.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I see, cheers guys.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

I think Roger McGuinn got the Martin Co. to custom make him one, didn't they?

It is a low B string, by the way.
Seven string guitars are tuned the same way as a six string except that they have an additional low B string. You can tune it by matching the low E string to the 5th fret of the low B string.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the Roger McGuinn one is different...the G string is doubled, just like a 12 string. Traditional 12 strings add a lower string below the E, tuned to B, like everyone said.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote