Clear all

A bit of a problem!

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, I have a Epiphone G-310 that has been stringless for going on two months (I have just been entirely too lazy to get to the music store) So today I finally went to go get some strings, and now nothing seems right on it. I am not sure what gauge strings were originally on them, so I just bought some medium gauge strings which is what I normally use for my other guitars, but now everthing seems completely off!

First off, there are dead spots all over the place. On every string on the 7th fret, on strings D and G on the 12 fret. Every string on the 14th and below. I know someone here has to have an answer for this. :?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

You probably need a complete set up done.

Guitars are built to have a significant amount of stress on them in the form of string tension. Having them sit for any length of time without that stress allows things to move.

My guess is that your neck is completely out of adjustment.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

KP is right that a setup will fix things...

If you put the same gauge strings back on that were originally on it, it will probably resolve itself over time (might take up to few weeks) due to the string tension countering with the truss rod and bringing the neck back into balance.

But i'm sure you don't want to wait that long :wink: Rightly so !

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Let the guitar sit for a couple of days. Depending on how it was stored, the neck may have taken a different set, to the last time it was strung. Allowing the strings a couple of days to bed in may bring the neck back into shape.

When strung, a guitar neck will want to bend forward, under the tension of the strings. The truss rod counteracts most of this - but, deliberately, allows a small amount of bend, to give the strings space to vibrate. Leaving a guitar without any strings, will probably result in the neck returning to it's natural state - i.e. dead straight - which will give you dead spots and fret buzz, particularly in the middle of the neck.

Taking the guitar in for a set-up, before the neck has had time to readjust, is not worth it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote