Clear all

A Chord Problem :-

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I've been playing for a while - and like to think I'm doing pretty good for the time spent. I'm been playing harder solos and have pretty smooth sounding barre chords and such.

Anyways, one chord has been a thorn in my side ever since i started playing - the open A chord. I've been trying to play this chord with 3 fingers - respectively DGB strings. My fingers are too large and i always have one finger that isn't where it should be, causing it to sound out of tune.

How do you guys play these? Anyone else with this problem? I figured that it's time that i should fix this.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

more often then not i bar it with one finger like this.

i can do this with all my fingers but my pinky.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

that is a very good idea. Not sure why i didn't think to do that. Thanks! i'll give it a shot

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The bar works because if you mute the high E, it's no matter because you have an E in the chord on the D string. Another possibility is fingering it this way middle finger = D, ring finger = G, pinky = B.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

The bar works because if you mute the high E, it's no matter because you have an E in the chord on the D string. Another possibility is fingering it this way middle finger = D, ring finger = G, pinky = B.

That is the "correct" way (middle/ring/pinky) so you can do A style barre chords up the neck. That's how my grandfather plays it and how he always told me I should learn it. Yet, I still play it like TwistedLefty pictured. :oops:

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

That is the "correct" way (middle/ring/pinky) so you can do A style barre chords up the neck.

That's very true. It avoids the problem of muting the high E string, in an A shape major chord.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i can play it without muting the E string with any of my fingers,
i actually can play it with my pinky, but it's a bit of a struggle and i haven't had need to do it much, so i don't.
just practice, it will become second nature after a bit.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

I play it both ways - first, second, third fingers and then second, third, fourth fingers. I use the former fingering when I want to add the seventh with the fourth finger on the high e string.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I'm not sure about the correct way I usually use one finger to play the A and a double barre to play the other A shaped barre chords up and down the neck. I can barre the 3 strings with one finger leaving the high E open when doing an A but it's a little tougher for the other chords since I use my ring finger and my joint is a bit messed up so it doesn't bend that way. But it's easier when you have sus chords to use a double barre than the three finger method.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

Two more options.

Middle, index, ring on D, G, B respectively. That gives you an easy change to E major in the first position since that is a common change.

Also, you can barre D and G with index and middle on the B string. That way you will have the high E open (the barre won't touch it) and you still have the ring finger free if needed for additional notes. That fingering appears occasionally in classical method books.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I end up with too much pressure on my A chords sometimes. I'm always trying to be careful. The ones that get me the worst are the barred "A" shape chords up and down the neck. Hate them, yet I can do the maj-7 chords like so. Emaj7 (X-X-2-4-4-4) and so on and so forth down the neck.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That is the "correct" way (middle/ring/pinky) so you can do A style barre chords up the neck. That's how my grandfather plays it and how he always told me I should learn it. Yet, I still play it like TwistedLefty pictured. :oops:

Is there really a correct way if you're getting the sound you want from the chord?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Well I play it the correct way when I'm playing on the classical guitar where the high E string will sound, with distortion u can't really hear it so I just play the barre and play it as more of an open power chord.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote