A dodgy Epiphone?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I was in a pawn shop that sells second hand instruments over the weekend and saw a deal that looked too good to be true.

The guitar was an Epiphone "Special" That's pretty much all the branding it had on it. It was a Les Paul shape but instead on the four controls below the bridge it just had two and what looked like a pickup selector switch.

Dubiously the guitar was on sale for £70 which is very cheap for a second hand Epiphone. It was definitly not new, looking like it had been well played, but didn't appear to have any obvious damage.

Anybody know what it is?

Cheers

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

The Special is the entry level LP from Epi. It's very basic, no top, no binding, few controls - it's what you'll get in an Epi Starter Pack. Check a few online stores to see what they cost new in the UK.

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

I bought an Epiphone LP Special new, just over a year ago for £170. This too had only two pots and a pickup selector.

If you want a power-chord pounder on a budget, and the guitar in question plays ok, then go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

its 150 (in us money) ove here new.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@full-fathom-five)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks very much, I'll probably give it a miss.

I was hoping to pick up a decent guitar for peanuts and the Epiphone name grabbed my attention, but you know if something looks too good to be true it usually is...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's not a bad little guitar, actually. I've got one that I'm quite happy with. It's a terrific slide guitar. Mine was even cheaper, as it was a factory refurbished "blem" marked "2ND" on the back of the headstock. Whatever its problem was, the guys in Gibson's repair shop made it right, and it came perfectly set up. (Rare.) The only complaint I've ever had is that one of its tuners is a bit notchy feeling, but it holds its tune well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote