Notifications
Clear all

a little direction

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jbryhe)
Topic starter  

I'm a self taught guitarist of 10 years. There are many days where I feel like I've playing a week. I just began giving lessons to my youngest sister and realized all the information in my mind is not making it to her. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a regiment that I could use to get her going. I started with some strum patterns and chord changes, but I was never any good at practicing scales so I don't know how to get her started on that. Any help would be appreciated.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

there is nothing more rewarding and inspiring than learning a song. pick out a song with a few chords and teach her that.
once she can play it easily, break the song and chords down. name the notes, etc...
then it may make more sense to her because of context has been changed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

there is nothing more rewarding and inspiring than learning a song. pick out a song with a few chords and teach her that.
once she can play it easily, break the song and chords down. name the notes, etc...
then it may make more sense to her because of context has been changed.

+1

I think that dogbite's advise is a great approach. I'm currently teaching my 11 yr old daughter. Once she gets a few basic chord structures down, I am moving directly to a song.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I took the lazy man's approach. I am teaching my 11 & 9 yr old sons. Instead of going through the brain damage of trying to figure out what to teach & when to teach it, I just bought a DVD course. The one I bought is called "learn & Master" guitar, which is very good, but there are other choices out there too if you don't like that one. It has 20 sessions and starts at the absolute beginner level. It really is about a year's worth of lessons. I just pop the dvd in and let the instructor do the teaching - I am there to help them over any rough patches. It costs some $$$, but it is worth it because now I don't have to organize the lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I would recommend CFB's way. Give your sister some begineer's book (idiot guide or dummies etc) and let her learn herself. You can help her if she is stuck somewhere.

Further, encourage her to learn some songs. They help to relax while you are not able to play 'that' chord or solo (and hopefully not smash the guitar against the next wall).

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote