Clear all

a little disappointment

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This weekend I left my college to go home, and jam with a guy that wanted to help my playing. I don't go home much, but my guitar playing was in a rut, so I figured jaming with someone might help. I went to his house and told him I brought my guitar home like he asked. He smiled and said he would bring his gear to my house in a few minutes, so I went back home and waited, and waited. Hours went by and I said screw it, he never showed up. I wasn't really upset or mad just very disappointmented. For now on I willl just depend on myself.

My bestfriend picked up the guitar a year ago, I tried to teach him some songs but, it's hard; because he just doesn't practice. He plays for a month then stops. Sometimes practicing to the drum machine gets boring. Anyone else in here play trapted in their room staring at the walls.
Man I have the blues.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

write a song about it?

Any ideas why the guy didn't show?
Don't give up tho, sooner or later your bound to find someone to play with, until then, work on those chops!

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The loneliness of the long-distance guitarist eh.....I sympathise, the same thing's happened to me a couple of times....ah well, when all else fails, back to strumming along with CD's or overdubbing myself....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I have the nobody to play with blues too.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Do you have any idea how many good reasons exist for not going to a guitar-related appointment? I can think of a few billion right now, maybe a few more if I sit and think a little longer. Call the guy, ask for an explanation and see what he'll tell you. If it's a good reason arrange a new meeting. If not find some other dude or duderina and arrange something with him/her. These are the only proper choices you have. Sitting in your bedroom feeling sad is hardly constructive.

Also, don't teach your best friend. If he needs help, he'll come to you. If he doesn't, he won't. Simple as that. Often when you hang around guitarists and guitar-sites long enough you'll get the impression the guitar is something magical and enormously important. Rubbish. Guitar is a primitive bunch of wood with some strings that makes funny noises when you hit the thing. Some like it, some don't. If he doesn't practice a lot, he doesn't like it that much. Friends don't need to share all interests.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Ahh, don't let it bring you down. Like Rollick said write about it. Thats just part of being a musician. I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe. Here's one that goes into the memory books. I went to play with this band that had a girl singer, they where pretty popular around the campus ASU (Tempe,AZ). We set up in the garage of the girl singer and played till late in afternoon. We decided we would practice the next afternoon and left all the equipment there set up.

Later that evening her boy friend had came by and brought his two dogs with him. He shut them in the garage when they went out bar hopping. You'd thought a tornado / hurricane / demolition team had been in there. There wasn't one cable or cord that didn't have dog Pooh all over it, I lost 6 speakers out of 8 speakers in my 2 Marshall 4X12 cabinets. You could see that the Mic stand had went through the grill cloth grabbing speakers on its way down. That was costly experience, I was still a starving musician in those days.

The bass player and I wrote some great songs about it. One was called " I got the dog sh** blues"...

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@cyrusocn)

I had to reply just based on that last post about dog crap.
Actually my comment has nothing to do with that. I just wanted to say damn I wish I lived near you cuz there is no one around here to jam with, and I live near seattle!
I play in a band though so all is well. I personally enjoy just playing against a wall sometimes though.
I really just wanted to say hang in there and I know what you mean. Everyone in my band was in a different country this last week and I went crazy.
Keep on rockin,
Cyrus

You may find my appearance to be foolish,
But it is you who plays the fool,
For although I am only a student of the victim,
I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

Yea I feel you. Just moved to Australia don't really know anyone here. I'm also at that crucial stage where I need to start jamming with some guitarists that are better than me.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Surely at a college campus you can find at least one other person who plays guitar. Go down to your local guitar shop and post an ad that you are looking for folks to jam with. And don't forget to post in the Gigs and Jams forums here at guitarnoise. With minimal effort I bet you can find someone who would be willing to jam.

Good luck!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I definitely have this issue too, you're not alone! (well... kinda... but that's not the point!)

I've always been more passionate about everything than all my friends. My advice is just don't sweat it. Seek out people who are as interested as you are, they're out there, and you will find them. In the mean time, practice hard, utilize your time as best you can: there's only so much of it!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote